Desperate to Relocate- Need direction

ArgentineLove

Registered
Aloha!

New here and was told this site was quite helpful in relocating to argentina.
I am presently a US citizen in Honolulu, HI. Late twenties. Female. No college degree but over 9 years changing majors! :)
I am a musician, and work in the movie industry for the IATSE union.

I have a desperate desire to see and stay in Argentina and want to make my move in late december or early january.
However i will admit i am a greenhorn to relocating in a forgein country.
Please any help with these answers or even information you may have to help me would be a bountiful blessing in my journey.

a) is there a program that doesnt cost loads of money that would allow me to stay in argentina for at least a year to decide whether or not i can swing it in argentina?
-I have looked into teaching english there but have to go through some certification courses
-The University here in hawaii has an exchange but you must be a spanish major and the stay is only 3 months.

b) What is best to do as far as finding a place and getting around?
-Are there transition houses, hostels, perhaps a boarding house?
c) What would you consider a reasonable amount of money to relocate in argentina with, initially?
d) what if i speak very little spanish at the present time, is it going to be difficult?
e) is the crime against americans as bad as the websites make it out to be?
f) Is it difficult for americans to obtain work in argentina?
g) and finally would any one be willing to 'show me the ropes' once i got there?

I look forward to ANY and all help you can provide.

Aloha / Welcome,

I'll answer the ones I can...

ArgentineLove said:
a) is there a program that doesnt cost loads of money that would allow me to stay in argentina for at least a year to decide whether or not i can swing it in argentina?
-I have looked into teaching english there but have to go through some certification courses
-The University here in hawaii has an exchange but you must be a spanish major and the stay is only 3 months.

I would recommend you do what most people do here. Come on a tourist visa (which allows you to stay for 90 days), rent a place, and see how you like it. You can renew your tourist visa (~ $300 pesos nowdays), or leave the country for a day and go to Uruguay which will also renew it. That will allow you to stay as long as you want (getting to know Argentina) without spending money and time in a residency visa before you decide this is the place you want to be for good.

ArgentineLove said:
b) What is best to do as far as finding a place and getting around?
-Are there transition houses, hostels, perhaps a boarding house?

Google online for "buenos aires apartments", "rooms for rent", or "hostels", etc. or search these forums. There are lots of offerings at different price ranges.

ArgentineLove said:
c) What would you consider a reasonable amount of money to relocate in argentina with, initially?

That depends on each person and the standard of living they are comfortable with. I would recommend you have some savings before your come here. Perhaps to cover 3 months of your rent and living expenses during your "trial" time here.... It may take months to find a job / source of income, so you should be prepared to cover your inital costs without a job (rent, food, personal expenses, and return ticket).

ArgentineLove said:
e) is the crime against americans as bad as the websites make it out to be?

What websites are you reading? :eek::D .... Crime here is not much different than any other big city. I dont think americans are a particular target here. Maybe tourists/foreigners in general for petty theft, but that is true pretty much anywhere else in the world.

ArgentineLove said:
g) and finally would any one be willing to 'show me the ropes' once i got there?

You'll find people willing to help in this forum and others like it. Just take the time to search the forums (lots of things have been discussed and covered here) and if you can't find an answer; post your questions.

Good luck! ;)

Hi ArgentineLove,

Most, if not all, of your questions have been answered many times on many different threads. Go searching and rooting through them and you will find all the information you need. The best advice I can give you is to just DO IT! Figure it all out when you get here and don't worry about anything. Keep enough saved for an airline ticket home if it all goes belly up, which it rarely does.

Suerte!

Firstly I love the name.
My advice for what it is worth, is try to stick with the music. I realy do not know what your prospects are here, but kick the woodwork anywhere in Buenos Aires and three english teachers will scatter past you.
It is the old supply and demand thing, because there are so many, there is little need to pay very much. My (highly qualified) friend stayed for a year, and the money he made teaching barely paid his busfare.
This is a good place to come to, if you use a bit of imagination instead of following what everyone else does, it could be a great place to stay.
Good luck and as Irish said "just do it"

Thanks Friends!
Though i know most of my questions have been answered here prior as that is the funciton of these forums i admit my attention span for the roughly what?? 24000 threads? is small.
I dont really want to be teaching english and yes music is a passion but as most if not all of us know, musicians and artists are usually starving haha!
Is it, in your opinion, a better judgement call to stay and seek work in BA or should i try the surrounding regions and even the coastal cities?
I apologize if this seems like a repetative question you all get but i have never relocated out of country (many times to different states where i speak the language and know the law but not forgein)
are there chats on this or any expat site to get to know each other and perahps be in communicae upon arrival to AR?

You have little chance of finding any sort of meaningful work in this country (i.e., work that will pay your living expenses) without a decent command of Spanish.

I hate to discourage you, but, given the details that you provided in your original post, trying to "make it" here might be even more difficult for you than trying to swim in quicksand...when your survival depends on it.

"Moving to Argentina" is a great fantasy for those who have never even visited.

There are many threads in the forum that you will find informative.

This forum has been very informative for me since I first learned about it a few weeks ago. When I have not been able to find an answer in the search I have asked questions and have received many helpful answers. I appreciate the very candid answers and good advice.

I can feel your enthusiasm but I agree with the other people who have posted responses. If you can support yourself from outside sources (savings, parents, friends/family) I would be all for you following your dream. But, as the saying goes, REALITY BITES and you need to be prepared. Plan to stay initially for 90 days and see how you like it. You can always extend your visa for another 90 days and after 6 months of living here, you'll have all of the answers to your questions. When and if you come, bring a credit card, a debit card and a return ticket.

Good luck!

P. S. I lived in the Kawela Bay/Kahuku area in the early 90s. You will miss Hawaii's clean air.:)

harleygirl said:
i can feel your enthusiasm but i agree with the other people who have posted responses. If you can support yourself from outside sources (savings, parents, friends/family) i would be all for you following your dream. But, as the saying goes, reality bites and you need to be prepared. Plan to stay initially for 90 days and see how you like it. You can always extend your visa for another 90 days and after 6 months of living here, you'll have all of the answers to your questions. When and if you come, bring a credit card, a debit card and a return ticket.

Good luck!

P. S. I lived in the kawela bay/kahuku area in the early 90s. You will miss hawaii's clean air.:)

mahalo, harleygirl!

Back