Devastating.

I guess you did a good job in the kitchen then - seems your dog enjoyed your effort :D
I had mollejas as part of a degustation menu in Paraje Arevalo and really liked them - until I knew what it is. Now I can't enjoy it too much as my brain tells me that this is a weird part of the cow and its not supposed to taste well... I really need one of those blue pills from Matrix.
But regarding the quotes: that Argentines burn the meat in general is far from the truth. The only difference in the preparation is imo that they tend to prepare it more on the well-done side compared to other countries, i.e., if you order "a punto", you might get it medium-well quite often. Many locals I have met don't enjoy the meat when its a bit red.

Thats what I need right now - a good thick juicy steak (lomito or whatever) dripping with blood, with pappas and a good bottle of vino tinto :) That for me is one of the best things about this place - there is an amazingly good Asado place in Palermo - Don Julio or something its called - what you want to do is go there and ask for what is NOT on the tourist menu :) lol Ask for the vacio and for the chorizo (probably the best gourmet chorizo I have had in the whole time here - and the meat...oh yes :)

Im tired of the speech of “Argentina, what a nation could have been” or “used to be”, or “could be”, and what it is. Those speeches are made from the right, from an empty nationalism, with almost no content, just nationalistic per se. It doesn go anywhere, they are just not constructive. Argentina is what it is. For this people with these speeches is "un pais poco serio". It is unthinkable to return to be a powerhouse in the region, today politics are taken by region, not a country isolated can grow politically independently from other. Today what is important is the population, the market. More million people you have, more important your country is or will be in this century. That’s why Arg cant compete with Brazil, or Mexico. Id rather a defensive strategy, and choose a low profile country, with great social numbers. We still have today some heritage from those days, Argentina has the best GINI of the region, there is where I would bet when looking for the future, that’s where Ill bet all my money; to improve social situation, more than big economic business, or pretentions of returning to a place we used to have.

ps: we burn the meat? thats nonsense!

Once when young managed Benihana Palace, right in the heart of Manhattan on 44th street between 5th Av/Avenue of the Americas-nee 6th Av. I had one day happened to be at one of the tables introducing a new comer chef right from Tokyo's Nihonbashi Benihana whom spoke but very sukoosh english.

The chef asked to one of patron in the large comunal table, how do you like your cubed steak cooked. The European said,Bleu...

The chef looked at me and perplexed asked me, what he said? I told the chef, he wants cooked raw..
The chef forked the steak and planted right on the person's plate..You should see the face of that french or Canadian french person..!

I think I disagree Matias. I think going back and looking at hard date and history can really help moving forward. There's no reason to believe this country cannot be a country with great wealth and low poverty. I didn't read the article from the Economist (which smells a bit like propaganda looking at the cover), but it is smart to see why the country is at where it is today. Argentina does not need to compete with Brazil or Argentina, it doesn't need to compete with anyone as it is a country of 40 million. But there is more to those speeches about what Argentina once was than empty propaganda. Things were once more prosperous, so people ask if it was so in the recent past, why couldn't it be in the future? I see no reason this country cannot be prosperous is people would change their ethics and mentality.

To improve a social situation, small business is vital. The most successful anti-poverty programs in today's world are in fact small capitalist projects. That is a fact. Small business can completely revitalize tons of people's lives. You should not measure success in a resource rich country such as this just because people eat. This country should have a first world standard of living, but you have people in Santiago del Estero that don't get enough to eat. People here are right to expect more.

Come on Matias, it would be very hard to deny that CFK and her cronies, both past and present, have made a right royal mess of the economy.
The most accurate line in that piece was when the author felt that most of Argentina's problems are self inflicted.

Matias, your post is wrong on so many levels:

Im tired of the speech of “Argentina, what a nation could have been” or “used to be”, or “could be”, and what it is. Those speeches are made from the right, from an empty nationalism, with almost no content, just nationalistic per se. It doesn go anywhere, they are just not constructive. Argentina is what it is.
Why is thinking how a country can be improved nationalistic? And how does a "our country is what it is" mentality help in increasing the wealth of a country?

It is unthinkable to return to be a powerhouse in the region, today politics are taken by region, not a country isolated can grow politically independently from other. Today what is important is the population, the market. More million people you have, more important your country is or will be in this century. That’s why Arg cant compete with Brazil, or Mexico.
Yes, countries today are not completely independent, but is that an excuse to do nothing? And what has the number of people to do with it? Why does Chile much better than Argentina, while having the same neighbors and only about half the population?

Id rather a defensive strategy, and choose a low profile country, with great social numbers. We still have today some heritage from those days, Argentina has the best GINI of the region, there is where I would bet when looking for the future, that’s where Ill bet all my money; to improve social situation, more than big economic business, or pretentions of returning to a place we used to have.
Have you ever asked yourself what the GINI actually means? Then you'd know that this figure says nothing about the wealth in isolation. Imagine 2 countries have exactly the same prices. In country A, everyone earns 1000$, in country B, 80% of the population earn 1500$ and 20% earn 3000$. According to your goals, you will strive for country A as it has the best possible GINI...

ps: we burn the meat? thats nonsense!
At least we can agree on this...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Expat Life 3
Back