Devastating.

No, I mean, yes this government is runnning out of money, but we have assets, like vaca muerta (houndreds of billions) and mega mineria and other stuffs that make bankrupt a rare probability.

This is a dangerous way to think. Look at Venezuela.

Opportunities need to be both made and taken.

Vaca Muerta is a great opportunity for this country. Make sure it is capitalised on - keep an eye on the relationship between Chevron and the Government. This should be a cooperative - which means no blame / scapegoats.
We don't need it to be 2019 and heading back to the drawing board, with Chevron heading back to California like a bear with a sore head.

you can measure inequality by Gini index, or by comparing the first decile (the 10% richer) with the 10% poorer.
You see how many times the poorer gain enters in the rich, how many times the rich earn compared to the poor.
In 2004 the richest 10% earned 17 times what the poorer, now 12.

latin america is the more inequality region in the world, we have Chile, Brasil, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, where inequality is huge. Not so much Uruguay and Argentina.

Please quote your source with link

The signs I enjoy the most are the "Aquí también la Nación Crece" signs in front of prisons.

I seriously want to do a public art project with them.

I'd like to put them all around Retiro and Villa 31. If I could only get the money to do so...

If I keep reading Matias' posts I'm going to turn into an uber capitalist neo-liberal fan boy (to use Joe's phrase).

When I first moved here, there were billboards saying: "Argentina un país en serio."

A few weeks ago, I saw one that read: "Argentina, vale la pena."

Talk about setting the bar low. What's next? "Argentina, es lo que hay?"

I agree with Dublin. Matias, I really hope you get a chance to travel to countries that are "en serio." And I don't mean going to Orlando.
The signs I enjoy the most are the "Aquí también la Nación Crece" signs in front of prisons.

Here they spraypainted a slight change: "Aquí también la InflNación Crece" :)
But it is stil better than to live in a place that is named:
peor-es-nada.jpg

This is in Chile, I passed the exit driving the "5" and nearly hit a bridge laughing. Love Chile as well by the way.

Vaca muerta? Uh .... ok. Let's see, the Argentine government took over a fully functioning oil production company called YPF that was supposedly expropriating lots of f*ing money back to Spain. YPF (Argentina) has yet to increase production. They might not even be making a profit. We should have confidence that this government can get oil out of the ground, transported, refined, and distributed either by itself or in partnership with a company that has the capacity without blowing up the relationship with the blame game?

This government has demonstrated over and over again that it doens't have the capacity to do that. So, I wouldn't bet on Vaca Muerta.

Anything else on the "asset list?"

The problem being matias is that you dont want to measure argentina by past performance but keep telling us about things that happened in the past.

Matias is correct. The structural situation of Argentina changed about a century back. The very economic model -- agro exports -- that allowed Argentina to become a rich country (by the standards of the day) stopped working because of the new configuration of global trade, and the country has never found an adequate replacement since. Just saying the country should have focused on "value-added manufacturing" is devoid of meaning: easier said than done. Not everyone can do it, and particularly not today, with saturated world markets and global over-capacity. One can make an argument that the supposed economic mismanagement of the economy over the decades was really an attempt to square the circle: to reconcile a flagging economy with popular demands for a better standard of living.

I agree that thinking "if that had be done in the distant past, Argentina would be better now" is not very helpful. However, to improve a situation one first needs to realize the problems. But the government lives in constant denial, always blaming the problems on other groups: companies, media, opposition, ...
Just look at the comments from the highest officials regarding the new inflation index: you don't hear thoughts about how to fight inflation. The comments focus on private indexes which are "ridiculous" (even though they cover GBA and the official index for the GBA region is similar/even a bit higher than the private one), the inflation according to the minister of economy is caused by a "psychosis of business people" over dolar blue and that the major issue are speculative attempts to destabilize the government.

Matias is correct. The structural situation of Argentina changed about a century back. The very economic model -- agro exports -- that allowed Argentina to become a rich country (by the standards of the day) stopped working because of the new configuration of global trade, and the country has never found an adequate replacement since. Just saying the country should have focused on "value-added manufacturing" is devoid of meaning: easier said than done. Not everyone can do it, and particularly not today, with saturated world markets and global over-capacity. One can make an argument that the supposed economic mismanagement of the economy over the decades was really an attempt to square the circle: to reconcile a flagging economy with popular demands for a better standard of living.

Not once did I mention value added manufacturing? Not sure you are quoting the right person. My statement stands in isolation to any of the above.

We'll disagree and leave it there, to be blunt I don't share your opinions and every time I read your posts I feel they are of a tone that makes me want to ensure we dont have too much future interaction. Maybe its the username....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Expat Life 3
Back