DILL PICKLES baked beans,hummus,BBQ sauce peanut butter, chopped liver

I was very proud of the fact I made my own poppadums a few weeks ago... They were edible and had a resemblance to restaurant type!! Anyone know where to buy baked beans preferably Heinz?

Come on!!! Hummus is super easy to make on your own. The bad part is that it won't last more than 5-7 days in the fridge but still.

My wife makes hummus all from easy to find stuff here. And it tastes better than the hummus we used to have at all of those Lebanese restaurants in Dubai.

Baked Beans I've never seen here but not crazy hard to make yourself. I use the following recipe for Boston baked beans:

• 2 cups navy beans
  • 1/2 pound bacon
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 3 tablespoons molasses (Note - I often substitute honey just b/c it's easy)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (Note - I use regular mustard, just do the full teaspoon)
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions

1. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer the beans in the same water until tender, approximately 1 to 2 hours. Drain and reserve the liquid.
  2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  3. Arrange the beans in a 2 quart bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of dish, and layering them with bacon and onion.
  4. In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
  5. Bake for 3 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until beans are tender. Remove the lid about halfway through cooking, and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.

I like jasmin rice which I buy in barrio chino for 35 pesos, however I don't eat rice even close to as often as most argentines/asians and my 50 peso purchase lasts me about 2 months so the price difference doesn't bother me at all, it's still cheap.

As for penut butter, I like dame mani which is local and just as good as the stuff back home.

NoseyParker said:
What on earth are navy beans and where do I purchase?

White dried beans that look like the beans in baked beans but smaller . You can buy them loose in dieteticas or in packages in Coto or any other supermarket.

PhilipDT said:
As for penut butter, I like dame mani which is local and just as good as the stuff back home.

Please don't take this persoanlly, Philip, but I think your tounge must be stuck to the roof of your mouth. :p

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :D

I tried Dame Mani once and thought it had a stale taste (though it was far from it's expiration date).

My favorite peanut butter was Laua Scudders (just like Joe Black). Jiff and Skippy really don't compare, so peanut butter is no longer on my Argentine shopping list. :rolleyes:

It hasn't been something I've craved very much since I read about the FDA's acceptable level of insect parts (including, eyes, legs, eggs, and larvae in every jar). :eek:

Back