Dinner and Drinks in Palermo (Friday, Jan 15)

orwellian said:
Antares is a nice place where you can eat and drink. You need to make reservations though.

Orwellian, does Antares specialize in Antares beer!?! I have to say it is one of the few marcas that has a really tasty ale and porter. Not the best I have had in my life, but something with some flavor.

So, is it the Wherever Bar? Hours of meetup can be flexible ... since the happy hour is from 5-10, people can look for BA Expats people to sit at the bar. Those who want to eat can move to tables, and there are always those comfy sofas for conversation as people get to know each other. Folks who prefer really late hours can show up at 10 to hobnob with the other night owls.

I can't be there right at 5, expecting a visitor, who may or may not be here this afternoon, but if he does, I'll bring him along. He's a member of this site.

EmilyR, do you want me to call them about the Antares beer? They seem to be well stocked in the their alcohol department ... their specialty is imported whiskeys, but i'll see if I can reach them this morning about the beer. They're open for breakfast, serving a full English one.

yes Victoria has the right idea... doesnt matter so much about the time... 5 or 7 or 9pm... whatever.... just drop by and have a relaxed happy hour...
Emilyr --- Wherever has about 20 types of beer from all over.... have you had the Otro Mundo from here?? in the blonde , red or brown???
well I will be drinking captain morgans rum and coke.. so I am set..hahaha

Hey ya’ll! I just arrived back from the Wherever Bar. But wherever you all where, I do not know! : ) Anyway, I arrived late at 11:55 in taxi from Congreso. When I arrived, I made a beeline for the bartender and asked, “¿Sabés por dónde están los extranjeros? Hay un grupo grande, o sea, no sé si sería GRANDE, pero ¿sabés dónde están?…” And this is when he informed me that HUBO un grupo de extranjeros. SIGH. Another failed attempt on my part to hook up! But I had a beer anyway-though I forgot, argsteve, about the Otro Mundo until after I had ordered.

As Bill knows, we had our internet switched off and then rehooked up late today while I was gone – to Telecentro after Telefónica jacked up our rate, so I came home after my other commitment that ended at 10:30 to check the site for the place….and to drop off my 2 kilos of blueberries. (By the way, blueberries are 12 PESOS PER KILO at a verduraria right now at Corrientes 4500 block. I have never seen them that ridiculously cheap, and they freeze beautifully for blueberry muffins and cereal topping. I am not exactly sure if it is on that block or around the corner because my friend who lives there picks them up for me and I reimburse her. The blueberries don’t always come in, but if you are interested, send me a pm, and I can find out the exact address.)

And even with your great effort, Bill (I think that was you-but I don´t know because I STILL have not figured out how to check it!), I did not get the voicemail either with the info-I could have went straight there with my blueberries. Because lamentablemente and STUPIDLETABLEMENTE, I do not know how to check my voicemail! I never use it with folks, always texts.

Que pena, Emily! We could have used more women ... there were two of us and a gaggle of guys who moved on after 10:30 to another drinking place, or perhaps to eat dinner.

I had to go to an exercise class in the morning and the other woman had children to get up with the next day, so we didn't join them.

It was good fun ... a lot of people very new to the city showed up.

Catch you next time!

emilyr said:
Orwellian, does Antares specialize in Antares beer!?! I have to say it is one of the few marcas that has a really tasty ale and porter. Not the best I have had in my life, but something with some flavor.

Can't remember seeing that on the menu. They do serve only imported beer though, food and prices are good too.

emilyr said:
Yes. That's what Antares does. They sell Antares beer. (Kind of what Mercedes car dealerships do... only with Mercedes cars, not Antares.)

Here's the link to Guia Oleo: http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=2796

Direct Antares link: http://www.cervezaantares.com/

According to their site, here's the pertinent information:

Armenia 1447
Opens 7pm
Happy Hour (2x1) 7pm-8pm
7 types of their own "artesanal" beers

Please enjoy responsibly*

*I actually added that myself. ;-)

I am chuckling about me getting up with children as in the event I slept in till 11!!

Could've gone on but for some reason I was feeling uncharacteristically sensible. Next time. It was nice to meet everyone.

Napoleon said:
Yes. That's what Antares does. They sell Antares beer.....Please enjoy responsibly*
*I actually added that myself. ;-)

Hahahahahaha! Napoleon, I think Antares is pretty tasty, and I occaisonally pick them up at Carrefour when I feel like paying 3 dollars for a single bottle of beer, which is not too often! How exciting that their own bar. Still, after going so much time without a porter or pale ale, I think enjoying responsibly is relative concept!

Victoria, I'm sad I missed you guys, too, but there is always a next time.

Back