Disadvantages of Citizenship?

You're right and thanks for clarifying - my post was badly written.

Does residency in one mercosur country entitle you to residency in other mercosur countries? Or is that only available to citizens...

jp said:
Does residency in one mercosur country entitle you to residency in other mercosur countries? Or is that only available to citizens...

I believe that you have to be either a citizen by birth of another Mercosur country or have been a citizen for five years in order to take advantage of the special Mercosur two year temporary residency visas.

All you get is a few perks for easy travel between Mercosur countries as a non-citizen resident. For instance, you can travel to Uruguay with just your DNI extranjero so long as your DNI shows you as a citizen of a country that doesn't require a visa to enter Uruguay.

ndcj said:
.One small correction to what was said above, you do have the option of permanent residency rather than citizenship even if you qualify for citizenship "por opcion". Argentina doesn't consider you it's citizen until you exercise the option. It's a waste though, because there's really no great reason to not get citizenship.

Thanks for the correction. I think Bajo_cero2 recently posted that permanent residency was not an option for someone with an Argentine parent. It's good to know they have the option.

Based on information you provided it sounds like citizenship is much easier for someone with an Argentine parent to obtain. Are you sure the same paperwork applies as for the resident visa?.

As a foreigner applying for citizenship I provided far less paperwork to the court than I had to
submit to migraciones for the resident visa.

citygirl said:
However, if you are outside of the US for more that 320 days (ie in Argentina), you can claim a foreign tax exemption for any income.

The exemption only applies to earned income. Rent and capital gains from the sale of property are not exempt.

Think any US citizen considering dual citizenship should seriously research this new legislation: Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA).

"Under FATCA, any institution in the world that holds US securities must declare all US account-holders directly to the IRS, or face a punitive 30 percent penalty on any transaction in those US securities."

http://www.ascot-advisory.com/News_Letter_Archive/08192011.htm

steveinbsas said:
Thanks for the correction. I think Bajo_cero2 recently posted that permanent residency was not an option for someone with an Argentine parent. It's good to know they have the option.

Permanent residency is not an option if you were born here, because you're already considered a citizen, but if you were just fortunate enough to be born to Argentine parents abroad, citizenship is a right, but it's a right that has to be exercised ("por opcion").

You also have the right to apply for permanent residency instead if you don't want to opt for citizenship (art. 22 ley 25.871 & decreto 616/2010). You need the usual documentation, plus the usual $600 pesos fee, and a copy of the DNI of the parent, husband/wife or child of yours that is a citizen.

steveinbsas said:
Based on information you provided it sounds like citizenship is much easier for someone with an Argentine parent to obtain. Are you sure the same paperwork applies as for the resident visa?.

As a foreigner applying for citizenship I provided far less paperwork to the court than I had to submit to migraciones for the resident visa.

The paperwork for citizenship varies wildly based on where you file it. The least paperwork seems to come from doing it directly at tribunales.

If you plan on obtaining citizenship, you should also file your apostiled and translated birth certificate in the archivo del registro civil so you can obtain your birth certificate any time you want the same way someone born here would -- this saves you from having to get extra (usually very expensive) apostiled copies of your foreign birth certificate to obtain your new DNI and passport.

dennisr said:
Think any US citizen considering dual citizenship should seriously research this new legislation: Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA).

"Under FATCA, any institution in the world that holds US securities must declare all US account-holders directly to the IRS, or face a punitive 30 percent penalty on any transaction in those US securities."

http://www.ascot-advisory.com/News_Letter_Archive/08192011.htm

This is a fabulous reason to get rid of your US citizenship, but has no bearing on taking up Argentine citizenship. FATCA requires banks with US ties to report accounts held by US citizens and residents. Your other citizenships don't matter one iota.

It doesn't take effect (if it ever does) until Jan 2013. If it does, it'll probably be tied up in legal challenges for a while, and likely result in foreign banks rearranging their affairs to remove their obligation to report.

One of the biggest disadvantages to going for Arg citizenship, particularly if you are a Brit is the puke inducing propaganda stunt that CK would pull, kissing you and shaking hands, whilst simultaneously rattling her plastic sabre at the Piratas Ingleses!

French jurist said:
One the main disadvantages of AR citizenship, as it was wisely underlined once by one of the members here, is to have eventually to fight our British friends if the Malvinas conflict makes it to the headlines someday.

Citizenship doesn't give only rights, but also duties.

Foreigners who get Argentinian citizenship has no duties regarding army for 10 years. However, concription doesn t exist anymore. Regards

Back