Disadvantages of Citizenship?

@sab15: (If you're still monitoring responses here these many years later) What did you ultimately decide to do? Did you find any particular (dis)advantages that swayed you?

I am married to an Argentine and I want to pursue permanent residency for me and our child (born outside of Argentina). Wondering myself whether to pursue citizenship. For myself, it would be maybe years away. For our child, it could be 'por opción.' But that option I guess could be exercised later, depending on what they want to do as an adult.

@sab15: (If you're still monitoring responses here these many years later) What did you ultimately decide to do? Did you find any particular (dis)advantages that swayed you?

I am married to an Argentine and I want to pursue permanent residency for me and our child (born outside of Argentina). Wondering myself whether to pursue citizenship. For myself, it would be maybe years away. For our child, it could be 'por opción.' But that option I guess could be exercised later, depending on what they want to do as an adult.
Citizenship > permanent residence but for most people probably marginally so. I cannot think of any major disadvantage of citizenship over residence. Taxes are based on fiscal residence so technically it doesn't make a difference. Residence can be lost or revoked, citizenship cannot (unless you go to the court and start a legal case requesting it, similar to the one applying to get it). For those with US/EU/UK/AUS passport it won't make a huge difference. One advantage I can think of is that after 5 years of being naturalized citizen you can move to any Mercosur country if you wish...and for Brazil pretty much at any time and get a perm residence based on the AR-BR treaty.

One the main disadvantages of AR citizenship, as it was wisely underlined once by one of the members here, is to have eventually to fight our British friends if the Malvinas conflict makes it to the headlines someday.

Citizenship doesn't give only rights, but also duties.
Conscripts are not used any more in wars.

There are not disadvantages.
PR can be revoqued if you divorce.
Also, if you have any criminal issue it is revoqued.
Being a foreigner accused of a crime means automatic preventive prision while being a citizen in 3 working days you are free while you wait for the trial.
Nowadays, divorcing is criminalized so you do not need to be a real criminal, to be a man is enough.

Back