Disappearing Expats? Or Is Everyone Happier?

I haven't visited this forum in a long time. I used to check in from time to time but seemed like the same people were fighting back and forth. Still there was some great information so I check in every now and again.

Definitely most expats have left Argentina due to all the reasons mentioned on the thread. I'm one of those expats that moved to Argentina in 2003 after the crash. I bought several properties and still own properties there. I did sell several of them earlier this year because prices are really high now due to the tax amnesty and locals using those repatriated funds to buy real estate.

Even for those of us that could easily afford Argentina. It didn't just come down to money. It was a combination of everything mentioned on this thread. I decided to move out of Buenos Aires after I had children. I couldn't in good conscientious raise them in Argentina when I knew they would have a much higher quality of life in the USA. Things in the USA just work. The air is clean, it's safe, and extremely efficient. Just about everything here works very well without much effort. Post office, shopping, banking, grocery stores, fresh organic food at good prices.

I still go down to Buenos Aires at least once a year as I have some relatives living in Buenos Aires but each time I go there I just can't believe how expensive everything is. Heck, now there aren't even lines in the supermarket now. I lived in Buenos Aires for 8 years and it used to annoy me to no end how long the lines were. Now, I don't think people are going to the supermarket as often.

I still love Argentina but there is not really any value proposition for living there full-time as an Expat. I agree with all of you that mention it's most likely people that are married to locals. You can get a much much higher quality of life in many other countries vs. Argentina and especially Buenos Aires.

I think it is true that many expats went back home. The reasons may vary:

A) The dollar advantage of 2001 is gone, and the present rate exchange is not very positive now.

B) Many Americans that were admirers of ELLA can not stomach present regime, even if it is somewhat pro-American.

C) Other cities have became very atractive to live in them now.

D) Property values are up and it may be a good time to cash in

I would add that the Colonia run is dead, now you are not irregular anymore, with this regime you are an illegal alien that can be arrested just like that and deported after 60 days in jail.

I have a paper from the Director of the attorneys if the DNM and deportations rised 1000%.

And to live in a country where is no rule of law is not very attractive.

According to my research you can be deported allot faster then that now. In like one week if you cannot present a case.

According to my research you can be deported allot faster then that now. In like one week if you cannot present a case.

According to the Director it deportations it used to take 400 days up to 8 years while now they do not even need an order of a judge for arresting you.

Back