Disappearing Expats? Or Is Everyone Happier?

Because you mentioned New Orleans, where we are from, I felt like resurfacing after a couple of years of not posting on this particular Argentina expats forum. We first came in 2005 and, like you, spend part of each year here and part in various work locations in North America. When I first started reading threads on this forum, they very often contained practical information helpful to living here. Other posts gave rise, as far as tolerated, to larger ideas that resembled conversations that would take place among friends gathered in person. These drew me in and I began participating. Now there is less of this kind of discussion, and more one-upsmanship and put downs. I know that world events of the past year have made incivility more socially accepted, but people don't always flock to it.

So yes, I agree with Ries that there are a lot of us still in Buenos Aires, many just no longer engaging on this platform, but rather, through PM's, other platforms, and personal contact.

And yes, we are here because we love this city. Unique in the world.

I've been reading this forum since its inception and I can tell you that there have always been put downs. They were far worse when the Kirchners were in power and expats defended everything they did and looked for excuses and justifications for every problem in the country. There's a lot more realism on this forum now than there was then.

I think it is true that many expats went back home. The reasons may vary:

A) The dollar advantage of 2001 is gone, and the present rate exchange is not very positive now.

B) Many Americans that were admirers of ELLA can not stomach present regime, even if it is somewhat pro-American.

C) Other cities have became very atractive to live in them now.

D) Property values are up and it may be a good time to cash in

I noticed this on a Costa Rica Expat Forum:

expats leaving CR

So many reasons.....

1) Homesickness (affects all expats in every country)
2) Vacationers who turned into expats too quickly (ie didn't really understand their part of CR)
3) Too expensive
4) Too much crime
5) Too hot
6) Too rainy

It is very expensive in CR. It is very difficult to obtain residency in CR even after dishing out thousands of dollars to do so.Crime is up -rampant stealing! The poor roads and excessive traffic can drive one crazy. Expats are forced to pay into Caja, CR's socialized medicine system, but never use it since it is so bad!! (Expats need to also buy private medical insurance to get half way decent health care.)Many people end up getting intestinal parasites since there are no standards for cleanliness when preparing foods in restaurants etc. There ARE BIG time problems in CR that no one wants to talk about!! It may be hard to admit one made a mistake about moving to CR.

Loads of people are going here nowadays:
https://goo.gl/оNRJ4m

I recently received an email from someone who was considering moving to Argentina but has almost decided on Paraguay because thing are "much easier" there.

I've never been to Paraguay so I don't know how anything there is, but I would go to check it out if I wasn't already here.

I found one casa quinta on line that was in my price range, but I have no idea how safe I would be there or if I could stand living in a tropical environment again.

I lived in Sayulita, Nayarit, Mexico for five years and one if the main reasons I left was the suppressive heat and humidity that was prevalent six months of the year...

...and it was becoming overrun with tourists the other six months when the weather was bearable.

Noise and intestinal parasites were also a factor...as well as being Caucasian.

Here's the property In Paraguay I like the most (for the price)

https://clasipar.paraguay.com/inmuebles/propiedades-rurales/vendo-hermosa-quinta-en-compania-cabanas-caacupe-67946

I recently received an email from someone who was considering moving to Argentina but has almost decided on Paraguay because thing are "much easier" there.

I've never been to Paraguay so I don't know how anything there is, but I would go to check it out if I wasn't already here.

I found one casa quinta on line that was in my price range, but I have no idea how safe I would be there or if I could stand living in a tropical environment again.

I lived in Sayulita, Nayarit, Mexico for five years and one if the main reasons I left was the suppressive heat and humidity that was prevalent six months of the year...

...and it was becoming overrun with tourists the other six months when the weather was bearable.

Noise and intestinal parasites were also a factor...as well as being Caucasian.

Here's the property In Paraguay I like the most (for the price)

https://clasipar.par...s-caacupe-67946

That is not bad for the price pool and I think I saw a parilla too seems like a nice layout too. From what I have heard Paraguay has only two social classes those stuff and those with nothing. But I have never been there either. I do know prices are lower there as the taxes are not of the charts on imports.

But you might be right about the heat I live with 30 minutes from the boarder and the heat here can be off the charts, I had acclimated before but I never find myself comfortable in it, I am just able to deal with it. Tank tops and big shorts with light wicking fabric seems to provide some relief. I have no idea how the locals wear long jeans and polos when it is 110 degrees with 50% or better humidity. But they do.

Back