Discrimination at Campeonato Metropolitano de Tango

I love Geraldine and used to take private classes with her. She is a goddess. But unfortunately she no longer dances with Javier, it's a great shame.....

You know, I've had enough with these discrimination threads in Argentina. I just want to express the whole truth about it. If this shouldn't be posted here I'm sorry, please move it/delete it, I'm new here.
ONTOPIC: A guy posted this competition was only for people from buenos aires. These are rules, you can accept them or not, it's a competition and there are some rules, what's your problem? I'm no tango fan but I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of events in which you can participate here.

You know I really think people forgot the significance of the word discrimination, and are pushing the boundaries where they don't even exist. A couple of weeks ago I read in this forum about a black (african black) woman running, jogging in low profile clothes and a hoody. At some point she went close to a little girl trying to help her because she looked like shed been crying, and when she revealed her face taking off the hood, the girl got freaked out and ran away. The woman carried on running and after a couple of minutes felt chased by a cop car, she turned right or left the car was behind her. Finally the car wasn't there anymore and that's tge end of the story. She was angry and said she was discriminated.

Well I wasn't there when all this happened, but I can tell you this: it's not common in this country to see really dark skinned people (like in france for e.g.). That's probably why the girl got freaked out and is understandable. Plus she was running wearing the mugger-type clothes, and she was even running. Maybe the cops were warned about some robbery in the neighberhood and they took a look at her and saw what she was doing. And that was it. Where's that discrimination you're talking about?
It's like a single cop being warned about a guy being robbed his cell phone, and he sees this low profile mugger-like clothed person running and a man in a suit running in the opposite direction. I know which way the cop's gonna go, it's common sense.
Here's another case. Let's say Igo to a disco. I'm at tge entrance, Im gonna buy the ticket in, and.. men have to pay 50 pesos, and women.... $20!! Hey wait... that's unfair, discrimination!! Yeah that's the first glance thought, but when you think about it you realize it's just common sense. In the paradigm or society we live in, girls attract boys, so it's an ingenious financial move to get the girls inside for a lower price, cause they're the bait for guys, at the end of the days this way is much more profitable. I know it's not completely fair, but that's not discrimination. And i can honestly live with that, I would never complain. I won't deny though that the idea of a getting wig and lipstick crossed my mind hehe.
You know, discrimination is when you try to apply for a job and you're not considered because you're from another country, or if you want to use a service and they ignore you because of who you come from or look like, that's not gonna happen here in my 25 years I've never/hardly ever seen this. It's hard to see someone (stupid kids-teen don't count) being called out names or things if he/she doesn't deserve it*. Remember argentineans are just a couple of centuries old and most of us exist because of people from abroad came here. Lots of races mixed up.
There's two more things i want to say.
1) I really think it is unfair to foreign people when they go to a restaurant or some small place to buy things, and when they are recognized as foreigners, prices change, and have to pay in dollars. That not fair, but it's normal to see this everywhere. My suggestion, becoke friends with a local guy, thatll be a lot of help.
2) * A couple of days ago I was going to a friends house, it was late, and I think i was walking near a gay club or something like that. Suddenly a group of guys were walking near me and on of them stood looked at me in the face told me "hola bombon" (hi cute/pie) and started to stare at my balls. I really hate people doing this kind of things, i got pissed off, I said "puto de mierda" then walked past this guy and that was it. I just want to say that I'm straight but I have no problems with people that are different, actions envolving lack of respect like that just get me mad. And that phrase, "abc de mierda" is really normal to hear it/say it around here you know, specially when people get mad:
e.g: Let's say you're driving your recently scratch-free bought car and suddenly someone hits your car with a bike really hard. If he was a jewish he's gonna get "judio de m*erda", if he was black "negro de m*erda", tall "alto...", fat "gordo...", old "viejo...", bald "pelado...", oriental "chino..." and so on but I repeat they won't be judged or called names or anything if this never happens. It's a usual phrase that might hurt but generally does not mean what it says. It's like "son of a b*tch", you probably don't mean that to the guy's mother when you say that.
I also read about argentinean hatred against brazillian people. That's definitely not true. I won't deny there's always been rivalry between us mostly because of football, but it has nothing to do anything out of the field, I as lots of football fans admire their football, happiness, dances, i even wear sometimes a cool brazil jacket and would never hear anything bad about it except probably after a Brazil-Argentina match hehe.
Well I wrote enough. I can't check what I wrote because I'm writing from a tablet and it's a little hard, I just hope to have cleared some thoughts or bad ideas that were going on here and there. I really meant no disrespect to anybody and excuse my english and late hour typing.
Do not hesitate to ask questions regarding this or any topic.
Cheers!!

RooKiED said:
You know, I've had enough with these discrimination threads in Argentina. I just want to express the whole truth about it. If this shouldn't be posted here I'm sorry, please move it/delete it, I'm new here.

Unless we are preaching a religion, you can only express your opinion but not the true.

RooKiED said:
ONTOPIC: A guy posted this competition was only for people from buenos aires. These are rules, you can accept them or not, it's a competition and there are some rules, what's your problem? I'm no tango fan but I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of events in which you can participate here.

The competition since this year was for people who was born in Buenos Aires. Nationality is one of the ways to discriminate. If you want to know what discrimination legally means, I suggest you read the law:

[FONT=&quot]1. La definición de qué es un acto de discriminación la encontramos en el art. 2do de la ley [/FONT][FONT=&quot]23.592 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]―ley anti-discriminación― que establece:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“A los efectos del presente artículo se considerarán particularmente los actos u omisiones discriminatorios determinados por motivos tales como raza, religión, nacionalidad, ideología, opinión política o gremial, sexo, posición económica, condición social o caracteres físicos”.[/FONT]

RooKiED said:
You know, discrimination is when you try to apply for a job and you're not considered because you're from another country,

Exactly. People who participates at the Metropolitan Tango contest are professionals. And this is exactly what happend, even they live here, they were not allow to participate because they were foreigners even some of them have sponce or children born here.

And for professionals, to compete and to win a contest means work.

And this is very interesting because the couple who won the Metropolitano won the worl cup last night.

The government of this city asserted that those who were born here dance better. This is discrimination. Reallity showed that 2 couple from Colombia were the 2 best.

Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
We won! The discrimination to foreigners at the Campeonato de Baile de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires (Tango) was abolished because of our class action:
www.tangobuenosaires.gob.ar/campeonato12/web/es/tango/reglamento.html

:D:D:D

I'm glad to see there is an attorney that is standing up to the rights of immigrants in Argentina and against discrimination based on national origin. I salute you Dr. Rubilar! This is fantastic that there is a civil rights lawyer out there looking out for all of us immigrants. :)

Keep up the good work and thank you so much for what you do.

¡Saludos totales!

Back