Divorce with USA

Judging from the quality of writing on the now-stateless man's website, he's not a native American. I'd guess that the country (it might even have been Slovakia!) in which he was born would easily regrant him citizenship (if, in fact, he hadn't retained it -- I read his commentary as ambiguous at best on this point).

RWS said:
Judging from the quality of writing on the now-stateless man's website, he's not a native American. I'd guess that the country (it might even have been Slovakia!) in which he was born would easily regrant him citizenship (if, in fact, he hadn't retained it -- I read his commentary as ambiguous at best on this point).

He says he makes a living as a translator, editor & proofreader & that he is not a citizen of Slovakia even if he lives there.
Doesn't bode well for him.....

About Mike

He's a crackpot, but he knows how to get attention -- look at us. Slovakia will be a fine place for him to live. But I am already bored with this silliness.

RWS said:

He may be in a position to claim Slovakian citizenship imminently or in the future -- particularly if he was born there. Since Slovakia is in Schengen, he can travel anywhere in the region from Norway in the north to Italy in the south without a passport.

I'm aware of one American who renounced his (American) citizenship and then moved back to the US, where he now lives and works as a stateless person (he's a "private military contractor"). But he has very good knowledge of the law.

Napoleon said:
Anywhere in the world, if a smoking hot, rich, brilliant, funny, creative, intellectually curious, athletic, caring, considerate woman is willing to put up with a guy like me so that she can have permanent legal access to the USA, I'm totally game. Why would someone take such a valuable commodity and flush it down the toilet?

Incontheivable!!

Absolutely spot on. And the most ridiculous thing is that he's done this 'incontheivable' act in the country where you're most likely to find thousands of women who fit the exact description above. I live in Prague, and can vouch wholeheartedly for the Slovak girls... they're great.

Stoopid man.

richforsyth said:
. . . . I live in Prague, and can vouch wholeheartedly for the Slovak girls... .
Aren't we writing about two distinct ethnai, Slovak (Slovakia, Bratislava) and Czech (Czech Republic, Prague)?

The US does tax the income of its citizens regardless of where they reside. The first ~84k are tax-free, everything after that is taxed at the normal rates. The rules are complex, to fully understand them talk to a CPA or research the IRS website. I don't think renouncing his citizenship will be an act recognized by the IRS, if they can figure out a way to get some money out of him they will.

Though if his income remains low for the next ten years, the Service likely won't bother to press the man.

RWS said:
Though if his income remains low for the next ten years, the Service likely won't bother to press the man.

How would they know how much he makes if he doesn't fill any tax forms? Or unless he's some flashy character like Marc Rich. There may be some law on the books stipulating that even someone who renounces citizenship has to fill out a 1040, but this will be unenforceable. As unenforceable as the one saying renunciation is not enough to exempt one from American military service (if called up). From what I'm reading on this thread, the policy of the US government with regard to citizenship seems to be the same of the Cosa Nostra with regard to new initiates:"You come in alive, you go out dead."

Back