DNI for foreigners travelling within LATAM

Not impossible because that is what happened. Maybe they changed the rules. Even if they have, I wouldn't try it again without a passport.

I entered Brazil this June by air with my DNI; brought my passport just in case, they didn't ask for it. I'm a permanent resident.
May I politely suggest that when people post 'facts' with great confidence they should quote the source of their information - such as 'personal experience including details and time frames' or a link to an official website. Not just in this thread, but in any discussion involving important practical / legal issues. I did and so did Quilombo, and I believe it gives people more confidence to trust the information is correct. The post adamantly stating the follows "Briefly, Chile and UY accept DNI extranjero. Brasil does NOT." has no reference to any source at all and might cause worry and/or confusion.

Brazil will allow you to travel in an out with a Permanent DNI, providing a) the nationality stated on it does not require a visa for Brazil and b) you are arriving from or departing to a Mercosur country.

May I politely suggest that when people post 'facts' with great confidence they should quote the source of their information - such as 'personal experience including details and time frames' or a link to an official website. Not just in this thread, but in any discussion involving important practical / legal issues. I did and so did Quilombo, and I believe it gives people more confidence to trust the information is correct. The post adamantly stating the follows "Briefly, Chile and UY accept DNI extranjero. Brasil does NOT." has no reference to any source at all and might cause worry and/or confusion.
jeje and where did I state it as a "fact"? I said "briefly", summarizing what had been said in the thread mentioned. Didn't vet the info. Generally traveling to Brazil on a extranjero DNI is risky as even if you have the right to, there are many places along the chain where you could fallar -- checkin desk, immigrations AR, immigrations BR....even if you eventually make it, it would make for an unpleasant trip. A rule is only as good as the interoperation of the authorities that implement it. More importantly, the primary reason someone who wants to go to Brasil on their DNI and not their passport other than losing their passport is to avoid a visa...but in that case it seems Brazil does not allow entering on DNI extranjero.

More importantly, the primary reason someone who wants to go to Brasil on their DNI and not their passport other than losing their passport is to avoid a visa...but in that case it seems Brazil does not allow entering on DNI extranjero.
Or to save precious pages from all those stamps… I never had a problem doing it and probably saved an early passport renewal in the process ;-)

Anyway, one should always carry a passport as a backup when they travel outside of their country or residence anyway. If you need consular assistance or have an urgent need to travel elsewhere, only having a third country ID card might not be so helpful.

Or to save precious pages from all those stamps… I never had a problem doing it and probably saved an early passport renewal in the process ;-)

Anyway, one should always carry a passport as a backup when they travel outside of their country or residence anyway. If you need consular assistance or have an urgent need to travel elsewhere, only having a third country ID card might not be so helpful.
a good point.

Back