Dni

cafeconleche said:
Thanks for the information everyone.

The company where my husband works uses an agency to assist with all the migraciones work. They were the ones who helped us get the Residencia Precaria when we arrived in Buenos Aires and applied for the DNIs for us, but are asking for 1000 pesos as payment for the DNIs. The annoying thing is that they say they have our DNIs now but will not give them to us unless we pay. I wish I had known earlier that it was a relatively painless (and cheap!) process to get the DNI.

I'm not sure what kind of residence we will be getting. We received our Residencia Precaria in August and it was renewed for three months more in December. We have to go to Migraciones again on March 1st.

To retain a DNI is a federal crime plus coacción (coercion).

DNI is a personal procedure, paralegals and lawyers are prohibited, you are the only one who can do it.

So, they might be lying, then there is a fraud (ordinary criminal case).

Or the DNI is fake, this is not unusual with some immigration agencies.

Regards

cafeconleche said:
Steve, yes the "agency" (I appreciate the quotes!) says they have the DNIs already. We do have our Residencia Precaria papers though, is that the certificate of residency that you mean? I guess if we decide we do need/want them then re-apply for the replacement DNIs ourselves?

But I was curious as to whether the DNI is really necessary to me right now, as I have a furnished apartment with landline and a bank account already. From what McCaffa says it looks like it's not really essential.

The residencia precaria is just a status granted between the time your papers are submitted to migraciones and the date that temporay residence is granted. If the paper you have has the words "Residencia Precaria" across the top of the page, look to see if there is an expiration date. If there is, you may not be able to leave the country after that date without paying the overstay fee.

You indicated you were granted an extension to receive the residency. Is this something the agency told you? Did they say you have to go back to migraciones with them in March? If they did, and, at the last minute they tell you everything is OK and you don't have to go you will be justified in being very suspicious. The date on your DNIs will tell you when your temporary residency was actually granted.

You can get by without a DNI, but if the agency tells you that they have your DNIs but are still waiting for anything from migraciones I think you should at least go to migraciones (with your passsports) to check your status. At the least you can get your own certificates for about $50 pesos each if you already have temporary residency. I don't know if it's possible to do so on line.

PS: Others have posted that they were able to get the discounted domestic air fares using their certificado of residency before receiving their DNI. And for a DNI to be legitimate it must have your thumb print (on the photo page) and I think you also must sign the document in the presence of an official at the RENAPER.

Actually, now that Bajo_Cero mentions it. If you didn't go down to the (insert correct office here) yourself, then it's highly unlikely they have your DNI. The "agency" my DH's company uses gather all the papers, makes the appointments, etc. then accompany us to the appointment. But again we have to go ourselves.

mini said:
Actually, now that Bajo_Cero mentions it. If you didn't go down to the (RENAPER) yourself, then it's highly unlikely they have your DNI. The "agency" my DH's company uses gather all the papers, makes the appointments, etc. then accompany us to the appointment. But again we have to go ourselves.

They need your fingerprints!

Bajo_cero2 said:
They need your fingerprints!

And don't they take ALL of the fingerprints when you apply for...as well as making a thumb print on the photo page when you actually pick up the DNI?

steveinbsas said:
...as well as making a thumb print on the photo page when you actually pick up the DNI?

Unless things are different in Capital, I don't believe so. I live in GBA so mine was delivered to my house. The only time my fingerprints were taken was when I initially applied for the DNI at the local Registro Civil.

mcaffa said:
Unless things are different in Capital, I don't believe so. I live in GBA so mine was delivered to my house. The only time my fingerprints were taken was when I initially applied for the DNI at the local Registro Civil.

Actually, the thumb print was taken when I applied at the (old) registro. It is partially covered by my (staggeringly handsome) photo in the DNI.:eek:

If the OP's fingerprints were never taken at the registro I don't see how the agency could have the DNIs as they claim...and why wouldn't the registro just mail them directly to the applicants? Are agency types authorized to pick them up?:confused:

Thank you for all the information everybody. It's a little overwhelming but I am grateful to learn more about the process.

Steve, my Residencia Precaria was stamped with a new date and I have it with me, so I'm not just taking the agency's word for it. My fingerprints were taken on the day I went to migraciones. I had assumed it was something to do with the residencia, not the DNI, but now I'm confused. I think we have a lot more questions for the agency now.

cafeconleche said:
Thank you for all the information everybody. It's a little overwhelming but I am grateful to learn more about the process.

Steve, my Residencia Precaria was stamped with a new date and I have it with me, so I'm not just taking the agency's word for it. My fingerprints were taken on the day I went to migraciones. I had assumed it was something to do with the residencia, not the DNI, but now I'm confused. I think we have a lot more questions for the agency now.

It's good that you have the precaria with the extension. Will someone from the agency be returning to migraciones with you? On that day, if you receive the certificados de residencia will the agency be giving you the DNIs they say they already have (if you pay the $1000 per person)?

I still wonder how the agency could have your DNIs. Did you ever provide photos with a celeste (blue background?

steveinbsas said:
It's good that you have the precaria with the extension. Will someone from the agency be returning to migraciones with you? On that day, if you receive the certificados de residencia will the agency be giving you the DNIs they say they already have (if you pay the $1000 per person)?

I still wonder how the agency could have your DNIs. Did you ever provide photos with a celeste (blue background?

Steve,

does one need special background photos for the dni?

Back