Dni

cafeconleche said:
Thank you for all the information everybody. It's a little overwhelming but I am grateful to learn more about the process.

Steve, my Residencia Precaria was stamped with a new date and I have it with me, so I'm not just taking the agency's word for it. My fingerprints were taken on the day I went to migraciones. I had assumed it was something to do with the residencia, not the DNI, but now I'm confused. I think we have a lot more questions for the agency now.

It's good that you have the precaria with the extension. Will someone from the agency be returning to migraciones with you? On that day, if you receive the certificados de residencia will the agency be giving you the DNIs they say they already have (if you pay the $1000 per person)?

If someone from the agency is going with you to migraciones on March 1st, I think you should ask them to bring your DNI's with them. If they won't, you have additional grounds not to believe them. I also think you should insist that you be given the certificates and any original documents that migraciones isn't keeping in your file before you leave the building.

cafeconleche said:
Thank you for all the information everybody. It's a little overwhelming but I am grateful to learn more about the process.

Steve, my Residencia Precaria was stamped with a new date and I have it with me, so I'm not just taking the agency's word for it. My fingerprints were taken on the day I went to migraciones. I had assumed it was something to do with the residencia, not the DNI, but now I'm confused. I think we have a lot more questions for the agency now.

It's difficult to know what is going on with your process. Is it possible the finger prints they took were for the police report? All you really need to do is call to make an appointment for you DNI. Have your precaria paper with you. They will ask for the number on it. If your DNi has already been done they will tell you. If not they will give you an appointment and tell you what papers you need to bring. You need a certificado de domicilio that you get at the police station near your house.

Captain Cheetah said:
Steve,

does one need special background photos for the dni?

Yes, the requisites for the DNI specify the photos have a celeste (blue) background. If you ask at a kiosko for DNI photos you will always be seated in front of a blue screen.

From the RENAPER web site:

DNI - Original - Primera vez

REQUISITOS PARA IDENTIFICACION (among others):

2 Fotos: 4 x 4 - 3/4 Perfil derecho - Fondo celeste.

mini said:
It's difficult to know what is going on with your process. Is it possible the finger prints they took were for the police report? All you really need to do is call to make an appointment for you DNI. Have your precaria paper with you. They will ask for the number on it. If your DNi has already been done they will tell you. If not they will give you an appointment and tell you what papers you need to bring. You need a certificado de domicilio that you get at the police station near your house.

Which police report are you referring to, Mini? Was an additional set of finger prints needed for the report from Interpol (which apparently was the reason for the delay) or were your fingerprints taken at migraciones for the Argentine police report?:cool:

steveinbsas said:
Yes, the requisites for the DNI specify the photos have a celeste (blue) background. If you ask at a kiosko for DNI photos you will always be seated in front of a blue screen.

ok, i thought photos were taken on the spot by their cameras!

Any particular size and number of photos?

steveinbsas said:
Which police report are you referring to, Mini? Was an additional set of finger prints needed for the report from Interpol (which apparently was the reason for the delay) or were your fingerprints taken at migraciones for the Argentine police report?:cool:

The only time I've had my finger prints done were for the Argentine criminal report. Cafe has only mentioned having them done once. Maybe they were for Interpol but she would need a local criminal report as well. Like I said, it's impossible to know what's going on with her process. We seem to be missing lots of information. But I highly doubt they did her DNI. I, again, suggest she call to get a turno. They will tell her if the DNI's been done already.

Thanks for the information Mini. I'll do that to find out if my DNI has been processed or not. My fingerprints were only taken once but I have no clue whether that was for a police report. I had given those celeste background photos of myself as well. Again I don't know what that was for :)

Captain Cheetah said:
ok, i thought photos were taken on the spot by their cameras!

They were four years ago, but perhaps not now and even at the registro I had to pay for them: $15 pesos for two fotos. I noticed that several individuals ahead of me brought their photos with them. In 2009 I saw the price was $16 pesos for four at the Kodak Kiosko in the Retiro station (the closest place to get them).

Captain Cheetah said:
Any particular size and number of photos?

You only need two, but many kioskos use a four lens camera so you may get four. All you have to do is ask for fotos for the DNI and you'll get what you need.

cafeconleche said:
Thanks for the information Mini. I'll do that to find out if my DNI has been processed or not. My fingerprints were only taken once but I have no clue whether that was for a police report. I had given those celeste background photos of myself as well. Again I don't know what that was for :)

Ah... Well, the plot thickens... Those photos are for the DNI.
Call them anyway and find out. Then we all plot on what to do next! :)

mini said:
Ah... Well, the plot thickens... Those photos are for the DNI.
Call them anyway and find out. Then we all plot on what to do next! :)

Update - We got our DNIs. What does this mean as far as our residency is concerned? My husband's employer claims that we now don't have to do anything further for our residency and that we can stay here legally (indefinitely?) with our expiring Residencia Precarias and our DNIs. But shouldn't we actually be getting a residency visa of some sort in our passports indicating that we live here??

Thank you all in advance!

Back