Do argentines not use tampons?

KatharineAnn

Registered
This is something I have never been brave enough to ask an Argentine woman - do they not use tampons? Tampons are strangely difficult to find here. You can find 100 brands of pads but 1 of tampons, and they often don´t even have ´super´ but only ´normal´ size. I´ve gotten used to them being different here, without the applicators, but that they´re difficult to buy is what shocks me! Have any of you girls had better luck finding them? A friend told me that in Chile people thought that ´only prostitutes use tampons´....but that can´t be so, can it??Crazy!!

I bring in a 6 month supply from the States. My friend, Argentina, says they are just not common. I was like what do you do for swimming, she was like we just go swimming anyway. Anytime I have people visiting I have them bring them in.

Hi there all,
With my limited knowledge, thanks mainly to former girl-friends, the tampons were more popular around 10-20 years ago. But then they started marketing the pads mainly for younger girls, most likely "not to interfere with their virginity".
Soon after, as I can only speculate, older "girls", started switching in a vain attempt to feel "like a virgin again". At the same time the younger chicks grew older and probably never switched to tampons, even after leaving their viginity WAY FAR BACK in time!
So there´s my simple theory on this mind puzzing subject.
I´ll tell you one scary tale though. Once I dated a girl and she thought she was suffering from some problem after her period seemed to over-extend in time and causing her a terrible odor. I couldnt believe it and told her, there´s something wrong you ought to go to a doc real quick.
Turns out that when she got back home, she discovered the problem: She finally recalled inserting a tampon and forgetting all about it FOR SEVERAL DAYS!!
You can imagine that was our last date.It took me over a month to get rid of the stench. She was just a step away from INFECTION. Maybe, Argies are just too forgetful for these types of devices.
If you use them though.... remember my case. I was the one who told her something´s wrong. If she wouldn´t have had me as her boyfriend at the time, she might have gotten a SEVERE INFECTION, in the worst possible place!
So Girls... make sure you have an observant boyfriend (at least once a month!!).
Cheers

I have no problems at all finding and buying tampons: you can get them at any supermarket, pharmacy or beauty store - some big kioskos carry them as well. I always see all three sizes as well. There are two brands that I know of: OB and Days, they do not come with the applicator though ( they made them like that for a short period of time during the 90s ). All my girl friends use them, especially when they go to the beach or swimming in summer.
BAJoe: Not that it is my biz, but did you dump your ex gf cos she forgot a tampon there?

Strange. Maybe ´cause I live in Once and everything is always a mess, they ´have´ them but they´re always out of stock. In Belgrano it was a lot easier. Anyway that reminds me of a funny story. I usually bring lots of American style tampons, with applicator, here when I visit the states. One time, when I got to the airport in Ezeiza and the guards were checking my bags, one of them grabbed one of my tampons and asked me what it was. I shot him a very confused look and said . ´well, that´s a tampon. is that permitted?´ ´...yes´. It was an interesting exchange.

"nikad" said:
.....All my girl friends use them, especially when they go to the beach or swimming in summer.
BAJoe: Not that it is my biz, but did you dump your ex gf cos she forgot a tampon there?
No, not only for that. She was very nervous and a "sleep-walker" as well.She´ld wake me up and SCARE ME in the middle of the night!! I never experienced that and if I am awoken interrupting my deep sleep, then I can´t resume sleep for several hours, I simply stay up all night.
Either way, I think women need to be VERY CAREFUL healthwise and someone who does that, is very dangerous for instance as a potential mother. Imagine wrongly storing the baby´s bottle and giving it sour milk.
Anyway If you would have been left with that odor on you, you´ld understand me better. At the begining it was hardly noticeable, and we had no idea where it was coming from. But it got stronger and stronger during intercourse, of course.
I didn´t drop her just for that but it was the drop that filled the glass.
Sorry if it sounds cruel, but she was not for me.
This could be a fairly common problem, and may lead manufacturers to limit tampons´ availability, that´s why I posted this story.
Regards, Joe

As was posted O.B. is about the only non applicator tampon here and thin pads...I have wondered about this for a while now. When my husband and I were planning our move I checked out all the stores for certain products I couldn't be without...So I just stock up on the brand I am used to in the states and bring a years supply with me. It puzzles me too...O.B., must be the only import they let in or it's manufactured here ...and the pads...well forget those..they are more for sanitation than anything else!
Glad I checked this out or it would have been terrible! Some items you can make due without, but not feminine hygiene products!
I would think if you had a friend ship them in it wouldn't be to expensive as light as they are...just take out of the box...lay them flat in a zip lock bag and put into a small box....

Hi Katherine:Where have you been looking for a tampon???? I am Argentinian I find them at ANY supermarket or pharmacy. The brand is O.B by Johnson & Johnson. And in Spanish you can ask for "tampones" or simplemente o.b you have them in three sizes according to the bleeding in your period : SUPER, MEDIO, CHICO.
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Marie - I have been looking for them in neighborhood supermarkets, mostly chinese. I know they have them in coto and farmacity, but coto is closed on sundays here and there´s no farmacity close by. I´m just shocked that there are supermarkets that DO NOT have them AT ALL, and when they do have them, the variety is very, very little, and they are often sold out of the ´super´ size. At least, in my experiencfe in the past year and a half that I´ve been here. Also, I do know how to say tampon in spanish, considering is almost the bloody same. But I´m not going to go ask the chinese cashier where they are, because if they´re not with the sanitary pads, they most likely don´t have them.

"KatharineAnn" said:
Marie - I have been looking for them in neighborhood supermarkets, mostly chinese. I know they have them in coto and farmacity, but coto is closed on sundays here and there´s no farmacity close by. I´m just shocked that there are supermarkets that DO NOT have them AT ALL, and when they do have them, the variety is very, very little, and they are often sold out of the ´super´ size. At least, in my experiencfe in the past year and a half that I´ve been here. Also, I do know how to say tampon in spanish, considering is almost the bloody same. But I´m not going to go ask the chinese cashier where they are, because if they´re not with the sanitary pads, they most likely don´t have them.

Gotcha now! Chinese stores they do not have them where the pads are ( as some ppl steal the small boxes 9 they have them at the cashier and you gotta ask for them =)

Back