Do banks ask for your ssn?

Well damn lol. Have you tried Wilobank?

Wilobank asks to fill out Declaracion Jurada regarding to FATCA
Basically declaring whether a person is a US person (US citizen or permanent resident) or not.

So FACTA is just a sworn statement saying you're a foreigner basically? That's not so bad. My main goal is obviously to avoid connecting my SSN to the Argentine government.

So FACTA is just a sworn statement saying you're a foreigner basically? That's not so bad. My main goal is obviously to avoid connecting my SSN to the Argentine government.
I just googled "why foreign banks ask for US Social Security number" and found this:

I don't think the governments participate in the free exchange of financial information at this time. So even armed with the tax ID they would have some channels to go through to investigate. If it would ever be at that point they will be matching your US passport number back directly to the SSN on your passport application. Obvious the less they have the better but it probably doesn't really matter.

Why?

What do you actually think "the Argentine government" could or would do with your SSN?

The Argentine government can track income in the USA already through financial information sharing treaties between the two countries. They can do this with out without an SSN. If they have your name and passport number, they can already do it if they want to. Trying to avoid this is pointless.

Why?

What do you actually think "the Argentine government" could or would do with your SSN?

Not so much the government but I don't like to add new things to further complicate my tax return. I'd rather pretend like an Argentine bank account with a couple hundred thousand pesos in it didn't exist, as far as reporting and all that fun stuff.

I don't think the governments participate in the free exchange of financial information at this time. So even armed with the tax ID they would have some channels to go through to investigate. If it would ever be at that point they will be matching your US passport number back directly to the SSN on your passport application. Obvious the less they have the better but it probably doesn't really matter.

You're likely correct. It's just so annoying with all the "should be irrelevant" stuff you have to report back.

Back