Do banks ask for your ssn?

Any bank will eventually ask you to fill out a W9 for FATCA compliance ...
FATCA is an american thing. So, if bank has no reason to believe you are a USA citizen, or if they are not connected to the USA (no USA branches, no correspondent accounts in USA banks), they have no reason to ask you to fill any IRS forms.

Two questions:

1: Did you previously post that you didn't want the Argentine government to know too much about your personal financial information?

2: Did you not realize the significance of the word 'Nacíon" in the bank's name?

PS: They may not have asked for your SSN when you opened the account, but I wouldn'r assume they don't have access to it or won't ask you to sign a W9 at some point.

Like you said earlier, if they decide to solicit it from the US government and get it then they just get it. In the end I'm just trying to make life easier but I have no secret agenda with hidden accounts and illegal activities. So if they force their hand then it's just a temporary annoyance that I have to deal with.

FATCA is an american thing. So, if bank has no reason to believe you are a USA citizen, or if they are not connected to the USA (no USA branches, no correspondent accounts in USA banks), they have no reason to ask you to fill any IRS forms.

I didn't mean to imply that everyone regardless of nationality needs to comply with FATCA, I was replying specifically to the person from the US, sorry if that wasn't clear.

If he opened the account showing his DNI extranjero then they know he's American and compliance will eventually ask him for a W9. Some banks are slower than others to ask for it, I know ITAU took about 2 years before they realized they'd fucked up with my account.

If you don't do it, your account gets closed, it's not a huge deal. Also, if you have held over 10K USD (cumulative across all your foreign accounts) at any point during the year, make sure you file an FBAR.

Back