Do banks ask for your ssn?

i will try to clarify my situation. I am retired, do not own any property or do business in argentina. i get aprox 1,000.00 dollars from ssi deposited in my us bank which i then make a similar withdrawal via western union into my cordoba bank. i do not own any property or do business in the US but i do have a large savings account in US. Santander bank said that i could contest the 5% tax at an providencial office far from me in Cordoba city. i could show the ssi deposits in my bank account in US, but not only do i feel ok about giving 5% to gov here that has treated me well, but I also do not want to draw attention to myself or my US bank account (world wide wealth tax issue etc). i thought forum members should know of this bit of info to throw into the hat of financial info...

i will try to clarify my situation. I am retired, do not own any property or do business in argentina.

... about 5 months ago, i noticed that 5 percent was deducted right after pesos were deposited each month
Regimen de recaudacion sircreb z

Responsable:20211385376 / 5,00% sobre $213.500,00

Look, @studiodio.

20211385376 is a CUIT of some self-employed guy who runs a bakery in Huerta Grande, Cordoba.

Go to this page:

Here you can enter this CUIT and some period and see how much your bank retained. Do the numbers match with your bank statements?

Is the bank taking your money to retain taxes of an unrelated business? Doesn't look fair to me :).

thank you so much, LUNAR. i have know this man for a long time. In case i died in argentina i had listed him on my bank account as a benifactor since i knew my sis in los angeles could not deal with all the hoops necessary. (i dont have a big balance in arg bank and he could use the funds to handle cremation, getting death cert from US embassy in argentina) I will talk to him and the bank to figure out how to resolve this. My husband died down here two years ago and it was a nightmare that is still on going trying to settle his estate, so i wanted to make it easier for my sis if i died. thank you again
a word to other expats that if you die in argentina and have assets in the us like bank accounts or ira´s you have to submit a nightmare of paper work from argentina to irs proving that you have no debts etc in argentina and then the paperwork once submitted to irs takes an average of 9 months to process (transfer certificate), almost impossible to process if your heir is in the US.

... i have know this man for a long time. In case i died in argentina i had listed him on my bank account as a benefactor since i knew my sis in los angeles could not deal with all the hoops necessary. (i dont have a big balance in arg bank and he could use the funds to handle cremation, getting death cert from US embassy in argentina) I will talk to him and the bank to figure out how to resolve this.

And in the meantime just open another caja de ahorro to receive your WU transfers in a different bank in your name only and without any benefactors. Since the business link is already established in multiple banking/govt systems, who knows how long will it take to eradicate it.

Take care!

I was able to open a bank account in person at a local bank by using my DNI and university acceptance letter. They didn't ask for my US SSN.

Is the name of the bank a secret, Secret?

Haha not at all. It was banco nación. I also had the green light from banco provincia but they told me 3 weeks to get a debit card and I didn't want to wait. Santander told me I could go online and register cuit tech talk blah blah blah I stopped paying attention. It was actually BBVA who told me to go to those banks.

It was actually BBVA who told me to go to those banks.
It was banco nación.
So, BBVA refused to open you an account if you don't provide your ssn, and you ended up in a state owned bank?

Last edited:
It was banco nación.
Two questions:

1: Did you previously post that you didn't want the Argentine government to know too much about your personal financial information?

2: Did you not realize the significance of the word 'Nacíon" in the bank's name?

PS: They may not have asked for your SSN when you opened the account, but I wouldn'r assume they don't have access to it or won't ask you to sign a W9 at some point.

Last edited:
Any bank will eventually ask you to fill out a W9 for FATCA compliance, even if they don't ask for it at the time of opening the account. You can sometimes get away with not providing it for some time, but eventually some compliance process will kick in and your account will be closed.

Back