Do fears of crime in Argentina reflect reality?

I really thought the locals were exagerating when I first arrived (18 momths ago), but I now think otherwise. Whiloe people don;t seem to get killed or stabed here very often, crime is a real, serious problem. In just the past 12 months:
-I had my wallet pick-pocketed
-My apartment (in a very nice neighbourhood with doorman) has been robbed TWICE
-My best freind's girlfriend was robbed at knife-point on a wealthy street in Belgrano
-My girlfriend was robbed at knife-point in Plaza San Martin
-Her car was smashed (serious damage) just to get the radio
-Her mother was car-jacked at gunpoint
-My girlfriend's best-friend was car-jacked at gun-point (at a main intersection in Recoleta at 3PM on a weekday)
-Her friend's father was robbed in his office (almost certainly by off-duty police) by four guys with shotguns
-He was robbed again getting into his car a few weeks later, he has lost almost everything
-I'm sure there are a few incidents I am forgetting

And everyone I know who has lived here for any length of time has similar stories. So, in short, robberies/burglaries are so common here that you should expect to be robbed. Stabbed or shot, still very rare. Just give them your money and cry!

Richard

I'd have to agree with Joe. After having been all over the US and around the world, people here don't know what dangerous REALLY is!!! STOP WATCHING TV!!! I all comes down to body language & appearance. I look more like a hunter than the hunted so going into these so called "bad" area is just a playground for me. I come from an upper middle class family and by no means a thuggy type at all, but if the push comes to shove , I will retaliate back & HARDER!!! Guns & small knives don't scare me, not these .22 caliber pea shooters, but if this guy pulls out a bowie knife or a .357, I'd worry, until then, I'm not even gonna flinch. I'm out!!! :D

Moving to BA in a little over a week with my gf and 3yo girl.

What would you consider to be the saftest barrio to locate ourselves?

What are the areas/times of day that we should avoid...please try to base on real experiences and not just word of mouth.

Thanks...this is really appreciated.

p.s. Lived in Bogota one year and London 15 years so I'm not totally naive.

I think that the guys who own a (expensive) car are way more likely to get robbed then someone who goes around in taxi's or public transport

Wayne, any middle class neighborhood is fine, just avoid the areas near the "villa." It also depends on which "villa" you're talking about, not all are as dangerous as what people believe it to be. Argentines have a tendency to exaggerate due to the TV culture here. If you have been to Bogota, and London, you'll be fine here. Most of the crimes here are pickpocketing and swiping of things while you're not paying attention. Muggings are rare except for organized crime related murder stuff, which doesn't occur as often either. Don't be fooled by what people here say, it's as dangerous as you want it to be.

Added: I live in Avellaneda, walked through the so-called dark, dangerous areas, and wearing a Rolex on the subte and colectivo all the time, didn't have a single problem for almost 2 years now, so no, I don't think it's dangerous.

I'm the first person to admit that I live in a bubble, but as a whole I believe that Buenos Aires is a relatively safe place provided you use common sense.
Coming from the very safe and calm Melbourne Australia, this is a bold statement.

I'm yet to know anyone who has been mugged, robbed, bashed, stabbed or ANYTHING.
I walk to work every day and catch the bus home. Never had a problem. I dress well above the standard here, but this is not to show off - it's purely because I like to dress well. Once again, I've never been targetted.
Before coming, I was told to never wear my watches or jewellery here. But after being here for 4 months, I don't have a problem with wearing these.
Sure, the town LOOKS as though you should be scared for your life, and some people look really scary, but overall they're friendly and will help you if you need it.
I also have the 'luxury' (if you call it that) ;) of having 2 young children, and our experience so far has been that if you've got kids, you're treated like gold. Because of this, we may get 'consideration' from potential muggers or robbers.

We rarely go out at night, and don't go to any of the so-called 'dangerous' areas, so once again - my response is biased. Having said that - maybe the reason we don't go to these places is because of the fear people have conveyed to me that these are bad areas? My 'bubble' life doesn't require me to go to these places, so I'll probably never see them anyway...

All in all - I believe BA is a safe place provided you use your common sense and do what the locals do...

I live down the road from one of the more notorious villas in Capital Federal and I have to admit, I fear more the neighbourhood vigilante mob recently organised by neighbours than any roving bands of murderous paco children that apparently have prompted this move.

I wonder about conceal carry of licensed fire arms in Argentina. Any thoughts, experiences of registration, purchases?

I doubt you can get a licence or registration if you are not a resident.

I also think it's not necessary.

I agree that the media makes a spectacle of crime in Buenos Aires but it is a real problem. Like any experience in this city, a big factor is how and where you live. I live and work in a more modest park of the city, and the truth is that crime is an every present fact of life outside of the four or five neighborhoods where most expats live. I'm not suggesting any kind of emotional burden should be felt, it's simply the way things are.

I work hard to avoid being a target (no listening to mp3, well-lit bus stops, keep your guard up, etc.) but the fact is that people have tried to rob me, and most likely will again. Buenos Aires is not a safe city but it isn't Mad Max either. Most of us made a conscious decision to live here though, and that is worth keeping in mind.

Back