Do I have to be paid in Peso?

Well... yes and no. You can have a contract that stipulates you make X in Euros but it will be paid here in pesos at the current conversion rate. Let's just say your contract says you make 1000 Euros a month. At today's rate of 5.6 pesos to the Euro you would earn 5600 pesos (en bruto) a month. If the exchange rate goes to 7 pesos to the Euro, your monthly salary would then be 7000 pesos a month. And from what I was informed, there is also a safeguard in that as well for you. if all of a sudden (jaaaa!) the peso gains in strength agains the Euro and the exchange rate becomes 4 pesos to the Euro, your montly salary can't be lowered from that original rate (ie 5.6). So it can go up, but not down.*

You can also have a portion of your salary designated for housing/etc which can work in your favor when it comes to taxes.

*That is what I was informed but I haven't verified it legally. I don't think many people are worried about the peso suddenly gaining strength against the dollar or Euro ;)

Ok to the last part, when i went to europe 1,5 years ago the euro was almost 6.5 pesos per euro, and now a day is 5.6 so is not that imposible. Especially with all the problems going on in the euro zone, but of course here there are lot of bad things going on to. lol

citygirl said:
I don't think many people are worried about the peso suddenly gaining strength against the dollar or Euro ;)
-7,000,000,000 and counting :D

John.St said:
-7,000,000,000 and counting :D

ROFLOL....

And they are all torn, stained and worn out and look ancient except for the 100 denominations.

Really depends on the type of job you're taking. If you are sent overseas you should expect to be paid in your home currency, and be compensated for the inconvenience of being sent to live and work abroad. If you elect to take a local position or voluntarily transfer you elect to take a local package - salary in pesos, local benefits.

Ideally try and get a mix of the two - flights, relocation allowance, accomodation subsidy and then a respectable local salary. Thats more than reasonable - your expenses as an expat will be much higher than a local, so your salary needs to reflect that. As a minimum try and get some help regarding your accommodation - renting a half decent furnished apartment in a nice area at a tourist rate can be very expensive.

If you're only going to be here a year - you don't need to worry too much about inflation and the economic madness that makes life difficult for long termers. Am sure you'll have an amazing year.

Hi,
I don't think your visa has a lot to do with how you get paid, it is mostly where the money to pay you will come from within your company. If you can negotiate Europe covering your wages and Argentina covering your rent and other expenses it will be better for you. Given current events it is the safest thing to do.That way your salary will be deposited in a bank in Europe and you transfer here only what you need. Also look for a bank account that charges less fees for transferring money or gives you the fees back.
Good luck.

Back