Do I need a visa to meet clients in Argentina (in theory)?

gatoandaluz

Registered
I'm a US citizen, and run an immigration law firm in the US. If I were to come to BsAs for less than 90 days to meet with clients, do some consular practice, and collect fees, would I need to arrange a visa before arrival? I'm aware of what's on the website of the Argentine Embassy in the US, but am fishing for some anecdotes from people who have done something similar. I won't be hiring any Argentines to run an office, and I won't be practicing Argentine law, obviously.

Of course, I did this last northern winter in Colombia on a tourist visa, but I'd like to know what the official policy is.

I know you don't need a visa for a "business trip". You can meet clients, work, give training, consulting services, etc during this "business trip". But I know this only based on employees. I don't know how it works for an individual/freelancer and if you can collect fees directly. Maybe you have to bill them from your home country.

I'm sure someone know will chime in soon.

mini said:
I know you don't need a visa for a "business trip". You can meet clients, work, give training, consulting services, etc during this "business trip". But I know this only based on employees. I don't know how it works for an individual/freelancer and if you can collect fees directly. Maybe you have to bill them from your home country.

I'm sure someone know will chime in soon.
Do it all on a tourist visa. If you even try to do it by the book, it will never get done.

From the Argentine Consulate website:

No requieren visa para ingresar a la Republica en calidad de "HOMBRES DE NEGOCIOS, INVERSIONES 0 ESTUDIO DE MERCADOS", los titulares de pasaporte emitidos por:
HASTA 90 (NOVENTA) DIAS:
AUSTRALIA; BARBADOS; BELGICA; BRASIL; BULGARIA; CHECA, RepUblica; COREA, RepAblica de; CROACIA; DINAMARCA; ESLOVENIA; ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMERICA; ESTONIA; FEDERACION RUSA; FINLANDIA; FRANCIA; GUYANA; HONG KONG (con pasaporte R.A.E.H.K); HUNGRIA; IRLANDA; ISLANDIA; JAPON; LETONIA; LITUANIA; MALASIA; NICARAGUA; NORUEGA; NUEVA ZELANDIA; PAISES BAJOS; POLONIA; PUERTO RICO; REINO UNIDO DE GRAN BRETAIÑA E IRLANDA DEL NORTE; RUMANIA; PUERTO RICO; REINO UNIDO DE GRAN BRETAÑA E IRLANDA DEL NORTE; RUMANIA; SAN CRISTOBAL Y NIEVES; SANTA LUCIA; SAN VICENTE Y LAS GRANADINAS; SINGAPUR; SUDAFRICA; TAILANDIA; TRINIDAD Y TOBAGO;

So, I would say that this would qualify you. Although its not like anyone is following you around if you just said "tourist" and went about your business.

US$140 right now to get the "10 year visa" in your passport.

If you haven't paid for one of these things sometime since ~Feb/March of 2010, then you'll need to pay when you get here.

Napoleon said:
US$140 right now to get the "10 year visa" in your passport.

If you haven't paid for one of these things sometime since ~Feb/March of 2010, then you'll need to pay when you get here.

I'm flying in and out of MVD.

Oh, in that case you won't need one when you come over... if you go to Aeroparque. (I think.) Or if you take a ferry in from MVD.

Suerte whatever happens. Siempre suerte

Thanks. I'll be taking a ferry, after a couple of days in Montevideo. (I really like it there, and have an old roommate who is a native.) The Brazil visa (again) was enough of a hit. I figured I'd be in Montevideo anyway, so might as well save a few coins by using the airport.

In theory yes, in actuality no. Although how are you planning on collecting those fees?

Back