Do They Have Walmart Here ???

This was ages ago but I wrote a blog post about the Walmart we went to my first two weeks of studying abroad in BA. It was super expensive (although I didn't have a good idea of what prices should be yet...) but a really interesting experience to compare the US and Argentine versions. It's laid out similarly to the US Walmarts but I still don't think it's the same experience.

http://standinginarg...-ive-seen-in-b/
Christ -- this blog is a description of the Walmart I'm talking about -- this is one of those foreigners who needs to get the hell out of their barrio every once in awhile -- they must have taken the bus to the provincia side of the highway. Idiots. There's a bus straight from Gorriti and Arevalo that drops you right out front, no dodgy highway crossing etc. http://standinginarg...-ive-seen-in-b/

Constituyentes is not exactly a gem, but

syngirl meet Otoñita...

well, I'll let you two get to know each other then...

haha, those pictures... lol yanquis...

Christ -- this blog is a description of the Walmart I'm talking about -- this is one of those foreigners who needs to get the hell out of their barrio every once in awhile -- they must have taken the bus to the provincia side of the highway. Idiots. There's a bus straight from Gorriti and Arevalo that drops you right out front, no dodgy highway crossing etc. http://standinginarg...-ive-seen-in-b/

I just read that blog and I wonder, how is it that you expats always run into the most southamerican Hollywood scenes clichés? Either it's all in your head or you are really looking for trouble. In my 30 years of existence I never ever encounter any drug dealers in the streets for everyone to see. I live in a lower middle class neighbourhood and I've been to very poor places here.

haha, those pictures... lol yanquis...

I just read that blog and I wonder, how is it that you expats always run into the most southamerican Hollywood scenes clichés? Either it's all in your head or you are really looking for trouble. In my 30 years of existence I never ever encounter any drug dealers in the streets for everyone to see. I live in a lower middle class neighbourhood and I've been to very poor places here.

A worried mother and a fertile imagination will usually do it.

Haha yes syngirl! I was one of those foreigners who needed to pop her bubble. In my defense it was my second week ever being outside of the US and I'd never been to a city with more than one million people or a city without my parents before. I was the picture of naivete. It actually turned out that I made a lot of friends who lived in Vicente Lopez and Olivos and took the bus outside capital in that direction all the time. I never again saw any creepy vans or felt uncomfortable even when I walked several blocks to/from the bus stops at night.

It does seem to me too, though, that we newcomers always run into those stereotypical Hollywood scenes. Then we write home about them. Just trying to perpetuate the stereotypes I suppose. ;)

Haha yes syngirl! I was one of those foreigners who needed to pop her bubble. In my defense it was my second week ever being outside of the US and I'd never been to a city with more than one million people or a city without my parents before. I was the picture of naivete. It actually turned out that I made a lot of friends who lived in Vicente Lopez and Olivos and took the bus outside capital in that direction all the time. I never again saw any creepy vans or felt uncomfortable even when I walked several blocks to/from the bus stops at night.

It does seem to me too, though, that we newcomers always run into those stereotypical Hollywood scenes. Then we write home about them. Just trying to perpetuate the stereotypes I suppose. ;)

This could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Back