Stray Dogs In Tandil-Adoption Tips/help With Transport?

sheawj

Registered
A group of us just got back from a week in Tandil late last night. I don't know how many people have been there and noticed this, but this town is swarming with stray dogs, who stay fed by chilling out near the campsites and a few locals who leave food out for them. Some of these pooches are pretty fat!
We had one dog, a scrawnier-than-normal greyhound-looking girl, befriend our family. She went with us everywhere, as we walked and didn't have a vehicle: hiking in all the places, horseback riding, swimming, into town to play pool, etc. Where the other dogs only were giving the love when we were cooking or eating, this dog never begged nor snapped at our bag from the butcher, and was by our side 24/7 for days.
Yesterday afternoon she followed us into town as usual, except we were getting a remis to drive us to the train station. She tried to get into the car with us and when we pulled away from the curb, she followed the car, running her little heart out. She has a cut leg and usually was limping the entire time that week, so you could imagine how hard I was crying to see her following behind us, until she just couldn't run anymore.

We would like to bring this dog to our house in Vicente Lopez to be a part of our family (the man who runs the campsite jokingly asked us if we were taking her along). We have some transportation problems because we don't have a car and the train that goes there is not equipped to transport animals.

We looked online and there are a few people advertising that they transport animals in Mercado Libre. Has anyone used a similar service and have a few tips? I admit, I am a bit uneasy using them.
And, I realize this is a long shot, but does anyone travel to Tandil regularly who could help us bring this darling dog to Vicente Lopez?
Any help or advice would be amazing. Our hearts are breaking that she is not with us.

Poor thing . I used a guy from Mercadolibre and he was excellent,cared about the animals etc.However I have no idea what he would charge for the Tandil trip and if he still does transports . http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hospetdaje/231128663579715?sk=wall

If the cost is prohibitive you might want to find a remis that would take pets and hire a large one and offer a rideshare here for someone who always wanted to go to Tandil and would therefore not mind participating financially in this rescue.

Some buses take pets as "luggage" in a proper transporter . Not so nice I know .

awwww -that story is so touching. Best of luck getting her home. I'm sorry I don't have a good suggestion - I also have a dog and have been looking into ways to cart him out of town to the beach, etc. You can use remises but they are kind of pricey - we were quoted 1000 pesos each way for about a 5 hour trip. Let me know if you hear of anything better!

Thanks, guys!

We thought about using a bus to take her, but I assumed that any bus going there wouldn't have the special compartment for pets...but to be honest we are not sure. This may work. My partner is thinking about going to Tandil to get her, and bring her back any way possible. If the bus was an option, this would be perfect.
I'm also happy as heck to hear that someone had a positive experience with one of the Mercado Libre people. I figure anything we do will be pricey, but we don't care. As soon as I get my wages next week, we're putting whatever plan into action.
I was loading the photos and videos of our trip just now and so many pics are with her. Here is one of her and my son:
DSCN3071.jpg

Just to clarify,if you take the bus the dog will have to travel as luggage with the luggage. There is no special compartment as far as I know.Hope it works out. She actually looks a bit like ours.

Another thing you might want to do is ask the owner of the camping if he could feed her a little if she still comes around .That way you ensure that she stays in the area. Stray dogs have a surprisingly large territory.

There are guys who shuttle dogs to and from Mar del Plata during the tourist season, for people who are traveling by bus.

When I looked around and found the people from hospetdaje I considered these people beforehand. Hospetdaje convinced me as the owners were concerned even after I had initially told them that I would not be using their services and helped with advice regarding how to arrange transport and lodgings what to look for etc. However if I remember correctly these peeople did not seem too bad . http://www.mascotasexpress.com.ar/

Just to clarify,if you take the bus the dog will have to travel as luggage with the luggage. There is no special compartment as far as I know.Hope it works out. She actually looks a bit like ours.

Another thing you might want to do is ask the owner of the camping if he could feed her a little if she still comes around .That way you ensure that she stays in the area. Stray dogs have a surprisingly large territory.

Yikes, I was afraid of the cargo thing. But, whatever it takes.
We talked to the camping guy yesterday morning a bit and he's not too sympathetic. There are a dozen or more dogs that hang out there and he throws rocks at them (tried to throw some at her but we told him to please not to). He did say that she is usually there, and a salami place up the road had said the same thing...and they had named her 'Fatiga'. But I do worry that once the summer tourist season is officially over that she'll move elsewhere.
I have the camping place's email and am going to send them an email today to confirm that we are interested in taking her and to keep the lines of communication open.

Make a full scale adventure of it - take a bicycle there by train, and ride back with her on a leash. She would do it for you!!

Back