Dolar turista - does it work for ATM withdrawals?

pixer12

Registered
Hi! Does anyone know if the dolar turista applies when you are making ATM withdrawals from a U.S. bank account? I am not sure if it applies only to card purchases.

Context: I'm moving to Argentina in a few weeks and have been gathering information about how to best make cash withdrawals from my U.S. bank account while there. I have set up a Schwab checking account (for fee-free transactions) and a Western Union account (so I can transfer money to myself) but it would be great if I could walk into any bank's ATM and withdraw at the turista rate.

Also - if anyone has any other tips/best practices for accessing funds in U.S. bank accounts, please let me know!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Credit cards only, otherwise you get the official rate(with a limit in pesos per transaction) + the fees ...is my understanding ..

Hi! Does anyone know if the dolar turista applies when you are making ATM withdrawals from a U.S. bank account? I am not sure if it applies only to card purchases.

Context: I'm moving to Argentina in a few weeks and have been gathering information about how to best make cash withdrawals from my U.S. bank account while there. I have set up a Schwab checking account (for fee-free transactions) and a Western Union account (so I can transfer money to myself) but it would be great if I could walk into any bank's ATM and withdraw at the turista rate.

Also - if anyone has any other tips/best practices for accessing funds in U.S. bank accounts, please let me know!

Thanks!
You will get the official rate at any ATM. And a huge fee for using a foreign card. If you get an Argentine debit card, you will get the official rate minus the fee. With a withdrawal limit. If you got blue rate pesos from Western Union, you could deposit those into your Argentine bank account.

I've been getting the Dólar Tarjeta rate at ATMs (https://www.lanacion.com.ar/tema/dolar-tarjeta-tid50462/), so not *quite* at the Blue rate but not far off. I'm not sure if it depends what type of foreign debit card it is? I also have a Schwab bank account, so presumably it will be the same for you.
Yeah, it would be Schwab. Do you withdraw cash at one particular bank or do you use multiple? I mean brands, not various locations of one brand.

I don't always use the same brand, and haven't noticed any of them using a different rate.

Has anybody else got this to work? I have a fee free Visa debit card that it would be handy to be able to use in ATM's if the WU's are out of cash/closed.

FWIW, as an update/caveat, I withdrew at HSBC for the first time yesterday and only got something near the oficial rate, so I suppose there's always an exception.

Back