Dolar turista - does it work for ATM withdrawals?

FWIW, as an update/caveat, I withdrew at HSBC for the first time yesterday and only got something near the oficial rate, so I suppose there's always an exception.

Did you inquire with anyone about this? I've not heard of anyone getting the Dolar Tarjeta rate for ATM withdrawals. That's amazing to hear. Although it would be a major bummer to withdraw and only get the official rate as you mentioned. Keep us posted if it gets updated later.

By the way, what are the ATM's charging these days for cash withdrawals? The surcharge fee?
I think if I found an ATM that worked at the better exchange rate, I'd stick to that same ATM! Ha, ha.

I didn't bother to inquire, I just won't go back to HSBC. At a Link ATM at Banco de la Nación on Tuesday my rate was about 343 to the dollar with the ATM fee factored in. I think the surcharge fee was something like 1.500, but I wasn't paying that close attention.

I didn't bother to inquire, I just won't go back to HSBC. At a Link ATM at Banco de la Nación on Tuesday my rate was about 343 to the dollar with the ATM fee factored in. I think the surcharge fee was something like 1.500, but I wasn't paying that close attention.
Link is used by Banco de la Nacion (which I've always found to be terrible), and Banco de la Ciudad, HSBC, ICBC,Itau, and most other banks use Banelco, maybe that's the reason for the difference in exchange rates? Banelco also charge double the fixed fee per transaction, and are notorious for refusing to disburse larger amounts (so your fee is a higher percentage of your withdrawal).

How much are you able to withdraw? When I last went to an ATM (not recently), it was 10k Pesos.

I don't usually max it out, so I don't know, but maybe someone else can jump in to this conversation here.

And, if anyone tries and has success, was it a debit or credit card?

I tried yesterday at Banco Ciudad with my debit card but no luck. The ATM fee would have been around 1000 pesos per transaction, if one had gone through. The ATM says the max. withdrawal is 15000 pesos. I got different messages from the ATMs I tried in the branch, so I'll try again somewhere else shortly, maybe it was because of the weekend and no / not enough / too small denomination banknotes in the ATMs.

Need some help. The last time I was in Argentina, there weren't five bazillion exchange rates. I'm not in Argentina right now so I can get USD cash with no problem. I'll be in Argentina with just a tourist visa. Ambito shows the "Dolar Turista" being better than Dolar Blue, so obviously if that remains the case, I'd like to use that rather than a cueva. Any updates with ATM exchange rates? Can I get dolar turista through a card at an ATM? I have a US account (Schwab). Is dolar turista available at official exchange places with dollars in cash? The Visa exchange rate website is showing a rate less than the blue dollar.

Visiting Argentina now this time feels like I have to be some sort of Forex expert/banker. I just want the most pesos for my dollars, open to whatever method that may be. If it's a big hassle and not worth a few extra pesos, I'll also understand that answer.

Last edited:
I routinely take out pesos from ATMs using my U.S. card and get the preferential tourist rate. The rate has gone down recently, but it should be in the mid to high 800s per 1 USD as of today. It is supposed to be tied to the MEP rate, but I always find that it is 50-60 pesos less than the daily MEP close, which today is 945:1.

The preferential tourist rate is always less than the blue, even when the MEP recently rose above the blue for a few days. If you want the most for your dollar, go to a cueva or convert with a friend.

Note that on the Dólar Turista is not the same thing as the preferential tourist rate for visitors; the Dólar Turista is something that Argentines pay for specified purchases made with their Argentine bank cards while outside of the country.

Need some help. The last time I was in Argentina, there weren't five bazillion exchange rates. I'm not in Argentina right now so I can get USD cash with no problem. I'll be in Argentina with just a tourist visa. Ambito shows the "Dolar Turista" being better than Dolar Blue, so obviously if that remains the case, I'd like to use that rather than a cueva. Any updates with ATM exchange rates? Can I get dolar turista through a card at an ATM? I have a US account (Schwab). Is dolar turista available at official exchange places with dollars in cash? The Visa exchange rate website is showing a rate less than the blue dollar.

Visiting Argentina now this time feels like I have to be some sort of Forex expert/banker. I just want the most pesos for my dollars, open to whatever method that may be. If it's a big hassle and not worth a few extra pesos, I'll also understand that answer.
Dolar turista is not what you think it is, and it's not for you. It's what it costs Argentines to use their cards outside of Argentina.

(Sorry, I see that pixer12 answered that at the end of their post.)

What's your objection to a cueva? The one I use is very professional. I've been dealing with the same guy for 5-6 years, maybe a little longer, and never had any trouble.

Back