Dollars In Uruguay

Ah, I thought you were saying 20/25 PER ATM withdrawal but really it's 9 per ATM withdrawal.

Are there not banks there that will allow you to withdraw more than 300 USD? I had read here that the BROU allows you to take out 1000 USD at a time. If you do that - you could take out your 1500 and only pay 18 total, vs 45.

Ah, I thought you were saying 20/25 PER ATM withdrawal but really it's 9 per ATM withdrawal.

Are there not banks there that will allow you to withdraw more than 300 USD? I had read here that the BROU allows you to take out 1000 USD at a time. If you do that - you could take out your 1500 and only pay 18 total, vs 45.

AHH thanks will check with BROU next month.

Thanks for all of the details. Will be getting my ducks in a row for a treck next month.

Well I make 5 withdrawals or a total of $50 dollars as per your data. I figured before $45..??

What is 9.5 /10 ???

9.5 to 10 is the meaning.

That would be great to know for sure about the BROU & the possibility withdrawing 1K at once

I am new to BsAs and need to get some dollars from my bank account in the states. I hear that I can get dollars in Uruguay, but I don't know how. Use an ATM? Where? Take a ferry to Uruguay? Any kind of ATM preferrable to any other? Where is the best location, in which town? I am counting on getting my tourist visa renewed on the trip. Is that a reasonable assumption?

I am just back from Uruguay.

I did not have troubles withdrawing dollars, except with ATMs from Banco Republico, which crashed every time I put in my (European) bank or credit cards.

In Colonia, you have an ATM of Banco Republico at the bus terminal and an ATM of Discount Bank at the main road. There are several ATMs in Montevideo and Punta del Este.

Withdrawal is limited to 300 dollars per turn and you can repeat until you reach your daily limit of your domestic bank. Per withdrawal you pay 4 dollars to the Uruguayan bank + the fees of your domestic bank. For me, overall fees were around 10 - 15 dollars per 300 dollars, but this included conversion from euro to dollar, so if you have a USD account it might be a bit cheaper.

Your estimate of 3% to 5 % is accurate, must also factor in the BQB cost and the chivito cost there..!!

Back