Dollars In Uruguay

The ATM gives you the option to make a transaction in UYU or USD. That means what currency will be dispensed, it has nothing to do with the funds your account is based on.

That was my understanding , but the ATMS did say "URU account in dollars" or "URU account in URU pesos" more or less. Anyway, I dont like having the accounts in Ireland so I think we need to get them over into URU or have an account there we can transfer into.

Will any cash machine work? No, Banco Republica worked with none of my 3 debit cards (Deutsche Bank, BNP Paribas and KBC). Discount Bank worked with each of them.

Whats the limit? The same as your bank limit, 300 USD per withdrawal.

Can i do it on Saturdays too? Yes.

Is there a risk that the machines are empty on a weekend around Christmas? Yes, especially in Colonia.

Any other tip? Credit cards are charged slightly less than debit cards. Expect to pay around 3-5% of the withdrawn amount as charges.

Hope I'm not off topic here, but anyone know about withdrawing US dollars from Chilean ATM's?

Hope I'm not off topic here, but anyone know about withdrawing US dollars from Chilean ATM's?

No, ATMs in Chile usually do not dispense dollars, however you can withdraw Chilean pesos and exchange them at an exchange house.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. Because of my job i can only go Friday to Sunday so possibly i will be able to withdraw on Friday and Saturday (if Sunday doesn't work?). It has to be around Christmas and I only have one card so I hope it wont get blocked. I will inform my bank first of course.

The problem is that the boats are not so cheap... and then staying somewhere two nights.. and the withdrawal charge each of the 8 withdrawals per day.

Worst case scenario is that i cant get anything out at all... and loose the trip money.

It's virtually impossible for you to unable to withdraw money in Uruguay. Worst case scenario you can use Xoom or the British sites (if you're not American) to send yourself money with those cards. Go to the buquebus office on Cordoba. Pay for the hotel there. You will be able to pay in pesos and take advantage of the blue rate. Depending on the hotel you get the savings can be great, they also get very good rates on some hotels. If you pay for the Colonia hotel online or in Uruguay you won't have a blue rate to take advantage of. Also, if you bundle the ferry and the hotel you save money too.

Back