Dollars To Pesos

No, you have to be a customer to exchange at a bank. But you can change at any tourist exchange place.

No, you have to be a customer to exchange at a bank. But you can change at any tourist exchange place.

I don't know about today, but as of Jan/Feb/Mar of this year I was able to change dollars to pesos at a Supervielle branch on Las Heras.

Bob

Right now, its pretty close.
For years, it was much better to go to a cueva, but now, its close to equal.
But a cueva is private, convenient, and mine has virtually no line.
For a thousand dollars or less, you do it at the window, but still you are in closed room that is locked and they buzz people in.
For more than that, you usually get a private room with the cueva guy.
I prefer it to going into a bank, myself.
Its faster, easier, and they know me.

I am getting about 0.10 and 0.20 more than in the bank.

As Ries points out , it is normally much quicker and more customer friendly...

Banco de la nacion Argentina does exchange - you don't have to be a customer. The lineups are long though. It's worth to check the rates online the day you want to exchange - 'informal dollar' bounces quite a bit and it's been seen going below official rate more than once since the beginning of the year. Banco de la nacion publishes it's real time rate online, for the informal check here http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/

Banco de la nacion Argentina does exchange - you don't have to be a customer. The lineups are long though. It's worth to check the rates online the day you want to exchange - 'informal dollar' bounces quite a bit and it's been seen going below official rate more than once since the beginning of the year. Banco de la nacion publishes it's real time rate online, for the informal check here http://www.ambito.co.../monedas/dolar/

I waited almost two hours in Banco La Nación in Mar del Plata last February. I played the tourist card with a foreign passport, my husband played the local card with an Argentine DNI. The question was always "Do You have a bank account with us?" and since we both said not (we don't have a bank account, at all) we were sent away.

I waited almost two hours in Banco La Nación in Mar del Plata last February. I played the tourist card with a foreign passport, my husband played the local card with an Argentine DNI. The question was always "Do You have a bank account with us?" and since we both said not (we don't have a bank account, at all) we were sent away.

Typical Argentina.

Last time we exchanged in La Nacion it was done 'under the counter'.

Yeah a Banco Frances finance manager recommended to me a couple of street money changers outside the branch.

Typical Argentina indeed.

Back