Don't run, fly--- a different way to get to Uruguay

tez

Registered
Any visa runners still out there? Well anyone interested in taking a charter flight from San Fernando instead of a boat-bus, the flight is only 20 minutes and if you're a group of four it's less per person than it costs to take Buquebus to Colonia!!! Plus flying over the delta, amazing. I figure visa runners can get up and over and back in a matter of a couple of hours, or for anyone it's a fun alternative to taking the bus to Uruguay. The guys I know have been doing charter "taxi" services for a long time and they are just starting to expand their business to more tourism related things, as well as traditional flight charters. I haven't gone to Uruguay myself but they go often. I've taken flights to Tandil, Pinamar, Chascomus, Lobos, Rosario... It's pretty awesome. :) If anyone is interested in contact info let me know.

I flew Pluna to Montevideo out of AEP when I was down there, and I have to say, $168 for same-day fare vs. ~$100 for the Buquebus... it was quite attractive for its time-saving quality.

Doing a visa run tomorrow. Bought two one-way tickets with different companies (Seacat & Buque) and my layover isn't very long (~2 1/2 hours).

The goal is to run to the grocery store to see if there are any things that I want to buy (termos are about 1/2 the price in Uruguay among other things) and then maybe a chivito completo before heading back to the port.

Round trip is costing well under AR$300, but I can't remember how much under. Maybe ~AR$250, plus a crack at some Duty Free action.

Napoleon said:
Doing a visa run tomorrow.

How can an Emperor who has probably read as many posts on this forum as I have still feel the "duty" to place himself in temporary exile when no court (at least in Argentina) recognizes the need for him to do so?

If you feel the need or just want to take the ferry to Colonia, a round trip fare on Seacat during the week is currently priced around 182 pesos.

Still, private airplane = way better. ;)

tez said:
Still, private airplane = way better. ;)

In this specific case, no. The ferry takes you from the Capital Federal to Colonia without the need for additional transfers. I imagine you would need to hire some alternate form of transportation (taxi) to reach the city center? In this scenario, I can also shop around for the best fare, compare various rates and book my trip in advance via the internet. By the way, while the trip in the air maybe faster, a small charter aircraft can be just as bumpy a ride as a ferry on the river. Suerte.

Aconcagua said:
In this specific case, no. The ferry takes you from the Capital Federal to Colonia without the need for additional transfers. I imagine you would need to hire some alternate form of transportation (taxi) to reach the city center? In this scenario, I can also shop around for the best fare, compare various rates and book my trip in advance via the internet. By the way, while the trip in the air maybe faster, a small charter aircraft can be just as bumpy a ride as a ferry on the river. Suerte.

Yikes I feel like I just got my hand bit. Mostly I was joking, but also, not really. I've taken several of the boats from BA to different places in Uruguay and I find it to always be an incredible pain in the arse. In first place the hours offered are always inconvenient. The trip invariably takes 3 hours (even to Caramelo!), plus the time it take to get to the bus station. In some direction I'm always going to be going with rush hour traffic (which I try so hard to avoid! and no, I don't drive, I mean rush hour on the train/subtes/bus=horrid). What else? Ah yes, you arrive in Caramelo or Colonia at some random hour with a horde of people and then wait in slow, long, did I say slow? lines to get through customs. And not once but four times. And then all those cheap alternatives (IF you can actually get that fare, most of the time it's not always available), the boats... aren't exactly nice and enjoyable. The boat to Caramelo you can't even see out of the windows. So much for enjoying the views!

If you're going and coming back in a day, it's a headache by boat, and I say yes, there might be a better option, and I found one---splitting between four people it's reasonable AND fun, imagine that!

As for the bumpiness, it's actually not bad. The air is as smooth around BA as the weather patterns, meaning pretty darn smooth and predictable.

Look, I'm not trying to sell this myself, I'm just sharing. I do know the people who fly the planes and I do want to see them succeed, and I am helping with some business expansion plans, but only as a friend. Now, with that cleared up: if you have to go to Uruguay, this is a pretty awesome alternative. If you're disappointed about not getting a chance to some discounted M&Ms and Johnny Walker, I'll see what I can arrange... ;)

Oh, and besides just the Uruguay visa-trip angle, the flights make for an awesome tourist experience. And they work a lot with extreme sports people, in case that interests anyone... You can go to the Isla Martin Garcia or fly over the delta, funnn.

For whatever reason I'm hesitant to post the direct link to their site, so message me if you want it.

tez said:
For whatever reason I'm hesitant to post the direct link to their site, so message me if you want it.

Maybe this isn´t obvious but I imagine that reason alone would make potential customers hesitant about using the service.

Really? Why? It's not like you can't find it on Google. And, assuming something is shady, what makes it less so if I post a link to it?

Aconcagua said:
Maybe this isn´t obvious but I imagine that reason alone would make potential customers hesitant about using the service.

Back