Don't Trust Anyone, They Say

mariposa

Registered
I am leaving and as everybody here knows, I have been selling the contents of my house. I sold most things already but I am still selling some things. Most things I sold are still in my house.

Now there is this guy who is a member of this forum who PMs me about wanting to see something I have for sale. We go back and forth a few times and I give him my phone number. Days later he calls me and wants to come over right away. I am not home and make a date with him for a little later in the day. He asks for my address and I give it to him. Then I cut my day short and rush home so I'll be there on time. (I arrive way early.) So the guy never shows not does he call to cancel. I text him to ask him if he is still coming over, and nothing.

So now there is some guy out there that I know nothing about. Maybe he is just a poorly brought up person, but perhaps he is a creep or worse. I just don't know. He on the other hand knows a lot about me. He knows I have a house full of things of value. He may assume I have a lot of cash lying around. (I don't.) He knows where I live.

I feel stupid and vulnerable. I broke all my Buenos Aires security rules.

People always warn me not to trust any Argentines. I'd say don't trust any expats you don't know.

Watch out, guys!

(P.S. Having said this, I have also met some incredibly nice people through this community, just buy selling my belongings.)

i hear you,but don't worry it is a common practice in Argentina the guy is just a flake.Unless you are selling big items i would meet him somewhere away from home next time

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]That's a bummer. Sorry [/background] :([background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background]

Obviously not your fault, but thanks!!

Sorry you are feeling exposed. Difficult situation as you are selling bulky items. Hope the guy mans up and tells you why his interest waned. Don't let it spoil your last days here though.

Thanks Aleina Dee. The bulky items are not the problem, sold most things already.The problem is being jerked around by some potential creep who knows more about you than he should.

But you're right, I won't let it spoil my last day/weeks here!

The same happened to a friend of mine who was moving - flake after flake making appointments and then not showing. I would try not to worry because I think it's just commonplace when selling items. I'm sure everything will be fine!

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Why don't you expose him as well, and tell us all, the ID of that person so we be careful if he tries to engage with us for anything... [/background]

...and who knows what he might do to my house in retaliation? Don't forget, we are in Buenos Aires!

Sorry to say this behavior isn't just Argentina. I went through liquidating the contents of my house 3x in the last 7 years for international moves, twice in the US. Mostly, people were considerate in calling if they had to cancel. About 15% were not. They just disappeared. For me, I don't see the exposure to you in this situation. He has your phone number. He has your address. That's it. He doesn't have keys to your house. I don't think you've gotten taken yet and I don't see an angle where this person can take advantage of you. So far, I'd chalk it up to being inconsiderate.

What you need to be careful on in your situation is people showing up to case your house for a break in later, show up with 2 or 3 people and distract you while the others pilfer your stuff, or staging an "invasion" where they show up with 5 of their friends and proceed to empty your house. Again, that can happen anywhere - not just here in BA.

Back