Down, down, down (a peso devaluation thread)

Xeneizes said:
I know this, which is why I decided to turn down money to come here now rather than uproot my entire life to do so when I'm 30. The thing that bothers me is how everyone is so sure we're going to hate our lives in 6 months. We're here for different reasons, with different expectations.
A couple of naysayers doesn't make "everybody" on here negative, bitter expats... ;)
Honestly I think 6 months is easy to do... it's beyond a year or two that the money situation might become more important, as shoestringing for a long time isn't fun. Not sure that's relevant to you or how long you'll want to stay. But again, you're young and there are tons of free or inexpensive ways to have fun in this town.

Xeneizes said:
Eventually I will want to make more than I do, but it won't be in 6 months. And when that time happens I'll do something about it, but it won't change the fact that the time I have then spent here is invaluable for dozens of reasons besides money. And that is the point of noarmadillos and me that all of you bitter expats can't seem to understand.

I don't think I'm a bitter expat but perhaps a more experienced one. Best of luck on your activities and your dozens of reasons besides money.

Philsword said:
No what your chart shows is that Argentina use to have GDP per capita above the world average and now it is below, which is my point. Economic growth has been below average which has led to stagnating incomes.
Trends show development over time. Look at the trend again.

Argentino GDP is growing much faster than world average and although it has been hit by the present crisis, it's going to surpass the world average, when the crisis is over.

After the great slump in 2001 Argentino GDP has tripled, while the world average GDP has increased to only 1.7 times.

Even hit by the crisis, this year: Argentino GDP grew 2.8 times since 2002 and world average 1.6 times since 2002.

Philsword said:
As far as the U.S. debt situation it has to be dealt with at some point i.e. spending cuts, higher taxes, its quite doable. Remember there was a surplus at the end of Clinton's second term. Historically the debt level was actually higher than now back in the late 40's, this was paid down and the economy boomed in the next couple of decades. Obviously nothing is going to happen now until after the 2012 elections. Hopefully enough of the right people will be elected that a consensus can be reached to deal with the problem. What do you see in this years election in Argentina? The possibility of change or continuation of policies that have led to Argentina's dismal economic performance over the last 50 years?
I was an optimist about the US economy (as can be seen in several previous posts), but with the Mad Hatters Teaparty about to enter Washington I am no longer so sure. It is my impression that they are going to follow in George Wingnut's footsteps.

The election in Argentina is the usual, the winners are to be those politicians people see as the least deplorable.

John.St said:
I was an optimist about the US economy (as can be seen in several previous posts), but with the Mad Hatters Teaparty about to enter Washington I am no longer so sure. It is my impression that they are going to follow in George Wingnut's footsteps.

If and when the values of Teaparty are completely and utterly defeated I will be very happy...
to be living in Argentina.

John.St said:

Argentino GDP is growing much faster than world average and although it has been hit by the present crisis, it's going to surpass the world average, when the crisis is over.

After the great slump in 2001 Argentino GDP has tripled, while the world average GDP has increased to only 1.7 times.

Even hit by the crisis, this year: Argentino GDP grew 2.8 times since 2002 and world average 1.6 times since 2002.

Real GDP growth has been negative

John.St said:

More Kirchner type comparisons, i.e. compare present period with lowest point 2002 and claim credit. GDP per capita is still below what it was in 98, most of the so called growth is just getting back to near where they were, i.e. real gdp growth per capita none since 98. Sounds like they are doing an excellent job. The recovery they have had since 2002 has nothing to do with the government, in fact they have retarded the recovery. The recovery while it lasts is due primarily to external factors, higher commodity prices and demand from Brazil.

steveinbsas said:
If and when the values of Teaparty are completely and utterly defeated I will be very happy...
to be living in Argentina.

I see Steve, you identify with the far right loons, Argentina is a good place for your. The peronists are another populist movement that succeeded, they have much in common with the tea party.

Philsword said:
I see Steve, you identify with the far right loons, Argentina is a good place for your. The peronists are another populist movement that succeeded, they have much in common with the tea party.

Just what do you find "loony" about the Tea Party?

Please be specific.

PS: Are you in Argentina?

If Argentina is a good place for me, why would you want to be here (either in person or on this forum)?

steveinbsas said:
Just what do you find "loony" about the Tea Party?

Please be specific.

PS: Are you in Argentina?

If Argentina is a good place for me , why would you want to be here (either in person or on this forum)?

No point in trying to explain it to you. I remember your earlier rants in support of Glen Beck, number one nut in my opinion. Logic and reason is wasted on people who believe such nonsense. Argentina is good place for you as Cristina, the peronists, are very similar to the tea party in many ways. A better question is for what you find so appealing about the extreme right, racism, religious fundamentalism, crack-pot thinking? Let us know.

Back