Drivers Licence

ElQueso said:
The other thing is, that it's unlikely you will get stopped. I have never been stopped in Buenos Aires. At times they set up checkpoints where they will occasionally pull over a car, but the police here are not allowed to come up to you in their car and pull you over to issue a traffic citation. it's unlikely you would ever interact with a cop and a car unless it is related to parking!

HOWEVER. Be careful to get permission (probably a "power", but i'm not sure) from your daughter that gives you permission to drive the car. If for some reaosn you did get stopped, you might have some problems with the fact that the car is not a rental car and you are not the person on the cedula verde.

I don't agree with this. I have been stopped only once in Capital (I must admit I was driving and on the phone :eek:), but as soon as you leave the city there are many check ups. I have been stopped a lot! I never drive without DL or Pasport as the chances of getting pulled over are high. They look at all our papers. They don't know what an international drivers licens looks like. Mostly they ask me where the number is. They always ask the cedula verde /permission to drive the car. Just a note signed by your daughterwill be fine.

I made an ilegal left turn in Las Canitas on a lazy sunday afternoon and landed up with two BA cops frightening and intimidating the crap out of me. $200 pesos in bribes solved the problem that i did not have my documents with me. I know you almost never get stopped but some of these people are absolute Basxxxds.

COMO OBTENER LA LICENCIA DE CONDUCIR EN CAPITAL FEDERAL.

http://abtachero.wordpress.com/2009/04/05/como-obtener-la-licencia-de-conducir-en-capital-federal/

http://www.econoblog.com.ar/2075/buenos-aires¿como-obtengo-mi-registro-de-conducir/

http://www.taringa.net/posts/info/2864041/Buenos-Aires:¿Como-obtengo-mi-registro-de-conducir.html

Here are sample questions for the written exam:

http://www.taringa.net/posts/downloads/4202535/Simulador-Examen-de-la-Licencia-de-Conducir.html

I downloaded the simulador and (in XP) clicked on all programs, the link to the simulador, and then on the individual pdf files which I had to open manually: browse/programfiles/simulador licencia conducir/preguntas_categoria_b_pdf (or) examen_categoria_b_pdf/open/. Then I saved the files to my desktop (creating a shortcut).

I just went to the comuna two blocks from my apartment. I have a valid Illinois license that I renewed three years ago by mail. There's only a sticker on the back that says (in English) that it's good for four years from the original expiration date of 2007. I showed the license at the comuna. They said it was OK and gave me a turno for a "renovation" at the Rocca address for next week. I have to back to the comuna for a one hour "class" in the evening before my turno. They said there would be no written exam or drivers test. I only need to go to the office at the Rocca address with my DNI and a certificate I will receive after the one hour class. The cost is $130 pesos.

I hope the info they gave me is correct as I am not planning on studying. Prior to my visit to the comuna I did translate all if the "preguntas" in the pdf file into English. If anyone who does have to take a written test wants them, please send me your email. The file is to big to attach here.

I also asked about some of the requirements mentioned on the websites and they laughed. It is possible to get a license with a passport and a few other docs (valid dl with 180 days, certificado de domicilio, e.g.), but you don't need a physical exam (eeg and/or ekg) or proof of blood type. Just go to the nearest comuna and request more info and a turno. I must add that the ladies at the comuna in Nunez were much more helpful than those in Recoleta.

Maybe things are different in capital, but in the Prov for me it was a breeze. Walked into the offices in Olivos, handed over my UK licence, had a foto taken, did an eye test and walked out 45 mins later at a cost of about 50$.
At the time my DNI was temp res so it was for 1 year, but when I got perm res I renewed the licence for 5 years.
When I was stopped by the police first time without a licence in cap fed I was told that the UK licence was only valid for 60 days here.
I now ride a motorbike and get stopped frequently, but I've never had a problem with the cops. Polite as ever, in my experience.

Gringoboy said:
Maybe things are different in capital, but in the Prov for me it was a breeze. Walked into the offices in Olivos, handed over my UK licence, had a foto taken, did an eye test and walked out 45 mins later at a cost of about 50$.
At the time my DNI was temp res so it was for 1 year, but when I got perm res I renewed the licence for 5 years.
When I was stopped by the police first time without a licence in cap fed I was told that the UK licence was only valid for 60 days here.
I now ride a motorbike and get stopped frequently, but I've never had a problem with the cops. Polite as ever, in my experience.
Did they give you back your UK permit?

Yes, of course they did. It doesn't belong to them.
I might add that i didn't have to take any exams to get the licence/permit.
Any other expats here ride bikes?
And don't even ask my opinion about Argentine drivers................

steveinbsas said:
Back in may I posted this:

I just went to the comuna two blocks from my apartment. I have a valid Illinois license that I renewed three years ago by mail. There's only a sticker on the back that says (in English) that it's good for four years from the original expiration date of 2007. I showed the license at the comuna. They said it was OK and gave me a turno for a "renovation" at the Rocca address for next week. I have to back to the comuna for a one hour "class" in the evening before my turno. They said there would be no written exam or drivers test. I only need to go to the office at the Rocca address with my DNI and a certificate I will receive after the one hour class. The cost is $130 pesos.

I hope the info they gave me is correct as I am not planning on studying. Prior to my visit to the comuna I did translate all if the "preguntas" in the pdf file into English. If anyone who does have to take a written test wants them, please send me your email. The file is to big to attach here.

I also asked about some of the requirements mentioned on the websites and they laughed. It is possible to get a license with a passport and a few other docs (valid dl with 180 days, certificado de domicilio, e.g.), but you don't need a physical exam (eeg and/or ekg) or proof of blood type. Just go to the nearest comuna and request more info and a turno. I must add that the ladies at the comuna in Nunez were much more helpful than those in Recoleta.

I did go to the centro for drivers license in May, shortly after making the above post. After a 90 minute bus ride to get there I was told my "renewed" license was not acceptable because the renewal sticker on the back didn't have a signature...it was a another 90 minute ride back to my apartment..standing all the way.

Today I got my Argentine driver's license in Punta Alta. I did have to go last week to request the turno, but that only took ten minutes. I was there this morning for about an hour for the eye exam and the psychological test (I cheated and passed). They accepted my Illinois license with the sticker and did not require a written or a driving test. I did have to get a blood test as my blood type was not indicated on my old license. I returned this afternoon and had the license in less than ten minutes.

I should add that prior to getting the license in Punta Alta I needed to get the cambio de domicilio for my DNI. First I had to go to a tiny office in the muncipal civil for a certificado de dominion. I didn't have any facturas in my name to "prove" that I lived there, so I went with the seller of my house and the girl just took his word for everything. There was no charge for the certificado. I took it to the Registro and they recorded the cambio in my DNI, but I did have to pay ten pesos at a locutorio, and that took an extra five minutes.

I also asked an official at the DL station about driving on a foreign license and he said that it would only have been "legally acceptable" for the first 90 days I was living in Argentina. He said all licenses must have the driver's current address and that change of address must be completed within 90 days. As it isn't possible to change the address on a foreign license to an Argentine address, an Argentine license is required. I asked about International Driver's license and he said they might be OK for someone with a valid 90 day tourist visa in their passport, but not for a foreigner with residency.

And there are a lot of checkpoints on the highway...not all day, everyday, but enough to want to have the correct papers and a valid license.

So what if you don't know how to drive :p
Has anyone ever been to a driving school in Buenos Aires?
I've managed to successfully avoid ever learning to drive (living in cities where driving is just not feasible) but would really like to just get it over with. Has anyone taken lessons with ACA. Is an Argentine drivers licence valid abroad?

Back