Drivers?

MNMom

Registered
Hi. We are considering moving our family from the US to Buenos Aires. Our last expat experience was in Shanghai, China. There, we weren't allowed to drive and our company bought us a minivan and hired on a full time driver as a company employee.

How is it typically done in BA? I haven't read much about drivers, but I've read a lot about the traffic. It doesn't sound fun to drive in.....

If drivers are common, where do I find a reputable one?

Thanks for any and all advice!

You can contact a remise company to start. I'm sure others have better experience in this matter.

most people in Argentina drive their own cars. even rich people. Its not like China, where a chauffeur is considered a sign of status.

I see owners driving very expensive cars in Buenos Aires. In fact, all imported cars, since there is a 100% duty on em, are expensive.

That said, traffic can be pretty horrible at certain times and places. But no more so than many north american cities. I think its easier to get around Buenos Aires by car than Manhattan, for example. Its similar to the center of Paris or Rome. Less crazy than Bangkok, thats for sure.
And the public transportation system is very good and cheap. For regular commuting, there are private minibuses that are cheap and reliable.

So there are alternatives to driving yourself, if you choose not to.

Thanks for your responses. I think they may have some sort of liability concern - they seem to always require drivers and don't want their expat employees driving. Not to mention I'm a wimp and really don't relish big city traffic, particularly with 3 screaming kids in tow (nor public transportation on a regular basis, for that matter)! But with all the crime and corruption I've been reading about, I'm wondering if it would be hard to know if we were truly hiring someone trustworthy....

Anyone else with experience with a personal driver?

Lee said:
You can't trust anyone here.

Sorry Lee, it might take a while to find someone decent but there are plenty. I go through culture shock myself here and I do not intend to live here forgood for cultural reasons. Yet, I would feel really biased saying that "everybody in Argentina" can't be trusted. I respectfully disagree.

I would say that you will need someone to help you navigate through things here, such as a driver. It might even be a part time post for a person to do so! but you will be okay.

If you need help when you are here give me a haul.

You can't trust anyone here.

that is an outrageous statement but it comes from some one who has absolutely no credibility and who keeps promising (for years now!!) that he will soon be moving to colombia. what are you waiting for? i'll help you pack!

mariposa said:
that is an outrageous statement but it comes from some one who has absolutely no credibility and who keeps promising (for years now!!) that he will soon be moving to colombia. what are you waiting for? i'll help you pack!

that is really funny Mariposa. Have you lived in Colombia?? I would only say that Buenos Aires is the "Mecca" if you compare a daily living here. People in Argentina take for granted that even though it is a country with major financial hardships, cultural life here is much higher than anywhere in Latin America. Therefore, why would we have here in Argentina such a massive Colombian immigration ??? Colombians are everywhere in Buenos Aires and not because life is better there-obviously:D

Kudos for diversity!

I think Lee means you don't know who to trust here till it's too late. Therefore you can't afford to trust anyone who isn't friend or family, hard for newcomers.

Back