Driving in Argentina. International License??

erian

Registered
Hi all

I am heading to Cordoba for a week in November and the father in law wants to share the driving so I was wondering do I need an international license to drive his car? I read it is recommended but not compulsory.

I have a full Irish driving license.

Anyone had any experiences with this at all?

Cheers!

I was pulled over last night, and was asked to display my Drivers Licence. I handed over my Australian licence and was then asked for my International Drivers Licence. I would recommend getting it to avoid any hassles. It was $34.50 or so dollars if I remember correctly, and doesn´t involve much more then paying and bringing a passport sized photo.

GeorgeAus said:
I was pulled over last night, and was asked to display my Drivers Licence. I handed over my Australian licence and was then asked for my International Drivers Licence. I would recommend getting it to avoid any hassles. It was $34.50 or so dollars if I remember correctly, and doesn´t involve much more then paying and bringing a passport sized photo.

Would you be able to tel me where you got it? I saw online it costs 180 pesos! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry read 34.50 pesos not dollars : ) Anyway any help on where to get it would be great

erian said:
Would you be able to tel me where you got it? I saw online it costs 180 pesos! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I organised it while I was still in Australia through RACV an Insurance company. Not sure how you go about getting it while your already in Arg. Though 180 pesos is about the same I paid for it. Good luck

Legally, you should be ok as far as the driver's license goes. I don't have an Argentine nor international license, but a valid Texas DL. Been driving here for about 5 years, stopped many times by the cops at check points both in the city by federal police and in the country by the gendarmeria. Never once did anyone have a problem with my driver's license.

BTW - you probably want to make sure he's in the car all the time when you're driving. You could have a problem if you were to get stopped while making a little side trip, and if your name isn't on the Cedula Verde (the car's registration card) nor the insurance, and he didn't get a permission for you to drive his car worked out with an escribano, you could get into some issues.

Also, make sure to check with his insurance to find out if you are covered under his policy. I'm not sure about that.

I think that if you have a DNI (Permanent Residency) you need to have an Argentine drivers license. If you are on a tourist visa you might be OK, even without the International Drivers License, but you know, unfortunately it really just comes down to what the officer checking your documents thinks, or wants to do. But I believe you "need" to have permission, in the form of the Cedula Azul, or a document stamped by an Escribano granting you permission to drive if the vehicle's owner is not in the car.

Thanks a million guys, I will ask him to check out with his insurance company re. Cedula Verde etc. I have no DNI yet so see how it works out : )

Was driving in Cordoba province and forgot to put on my headlights , where it is mandatory, and was stopped by the police. SHowed them my Florida drivers license , and they really did not know what to do. Never asked for an International . In the end I slipped him 50 pesos , and he said thanks , have a nice day !!

Erlan: did you ever find out any additional information?

I have a temp DNI for now and a valid US license. For the new car we just bought with my boyfriend we had a Cedula Azul made in my name. After talking to various sources it seems that this MAY be all I need to drive around until I have permanent residency.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Back