Driving in Argentina. (Non rental cars)

Can you please explain? I don't know much about it, except that the local Automobil Club Argentino says that's enough. Would like to be sure it really is....!
If you have any sort of residency here, by law you have to have an Argentine drivers license. I was stopped at a routine check during the pandemia on Figueroa Alcorta and the young officer who looked at my US license consulted with a colleague who told her to let me go, an action which indicated to me that there was obviously a law that I was breaking, but for whatever the reason, they decided to let me go. I was also told that explicitly at the CABA Roca licensing bureau.

Stan is right. You can be lucky, I've also driven questionably / excessively long on an international driving licence. You will almost never be stopped, and you can get out of many dodgy situations interacting with nice policemen (which most of them are), but YMMV

In all the years since I've been coming to and staying in Argentina, I've repeatedly said under no circumstances would I drive a car here as it's like demolition derby on the roads!

In all the years since I've been coming to and staying in Argentina, I've repeatedly said under no circumstances would I drive a car here as it's like demolition derby on the roads!

What Traveler said... driving is atrocious here, the worst I've seen with the exception of Peru (which is truly awful). I've driven in most of South America by now. I suspect most drivers here in Buenos Aires cheated / paid someone off to get their licenses (or maybe Santa leaves them under the Christmas tree).

I did get an SUV to fend off the local drivers, and more importantly the motorcyclists, who are even worse than the car drivers.

What Traveler said... driving is atrocious here, the worst I've seen with the exception of Peru (which is truly awful). I've driven in most of South America by now. I suspect most drivers here in Buenos Aires cheated / paid someone off to get their licenses (or maybe Santa leaves them under the Christmas tree).

I did get an SUV to fend off the local drivers, and more importantly the motorcyclists, who are even worse than the car drivers.
BINGO!

The moto drivers here are absolutely unbelievable! And the vast majority of them don't wear helmets and then when involved in an inevitable accident, end up dead. It's train, bus or remise for me unless I walk (and then look both ways, twice, when crossing a street).

Hi.
I have an international drivers license, can I just change it to Argentine drivers license?
I have DNI.

Hi.
I have an international drivers license, can I just change it to Argentine drivers license?
I have DNI.
Your IDL will only be useful (together with your national license, it can't be used separately) for your first 6 months in Argentina.

After that you need a valid Argentinian driving license.

You can exchange your foreign national driving license for an Argentinian one only if your license is Italian, Spanish, or also it seems Chilean. Argentina doesn't exchange licenses of any other country. Search for "canje de licencia" to get more information.

So if you can't take advantage of the exchange agreements, you need to get an Argentinian DL, which includes taking the theoretical and practical driving tests. If you can get a legalized, translated copy of your foreign DL that's less than 3 months old when you go to get your Argentinian DL, you may be able to skip the probationary period (not allowed on roads with >70km speed limit). The exact procedure for getting the Argentinian DL varies according to the province.

Your IDL will only be useful (together with your national license, it can't be used separately) for your first 6 months in Argentina.

You can exchange your foreign national driving license for an Argentinian one only if your license is Italian, Spanish, or also it seems Chilean. Argentina doesn't exchange licenses of any other country. Search for "canje de licencia" to get more information.

So if you can't take advantage of the exchange agreements, you need to get an Argentinian DL, which includes taking the theoretical and practical driving tests. If you can get a legalized, translated copy of your foreign DL that's less than 3 months old when you go to get your Argentinian DL, you may be able to skip the probationary period (not allowed on roads with >70km speed limit). The exact procedure for getting the Argentinian DL varies according to the province.
If your license is from the USA, even a legalized and translated copy may not do it, i.e., you may have to start over as a beginner, taking the written and driving tests and have driving restrictions for 6 months and zero alcohol for two years.

thanks for your help.
my license does not from above countries. and sadly, i have been here for more than 6 months.
I don't really speak Spanish now. I think I need to take the test later.

Thanks.

Back