Driving License In Ba

Shoeb

Registered
Hi Guys,

I want to know how to get local driving license in buenos aires. I have one from my country but to make a local one what is the procedure and requirements.

thanks,
shoeb

There are threads on the subject with detailed information in English. You can find them if you search using the terms drivers license.

The most important things to know are:

You need a DNI or certificate of temporary residency (residencia precaria) if you are waiting for a DNI and you will need a certificado de domicilio issued by the federal police.

If you have temporary residency your license will only be good until your temporary residency expires.

If your current license has not expired you will not have to take a driving test (behind the wheel).

You will have to take a written test in Spanish and if you fail you have to wait 30 days before taking it again.

There are English translations of the driving test available and I made one that I can send to you in a PDF.

Getting a license is a lot of work and hardly worth the effort if you only have temporary residency and don't own a car. Just getting to la Sede Central de la Dirección General de Licencias (Av. Cnel. Roca 5252) can be an ordeal if you are using public transportation.

You can rent a car with your passport and foreign license. The rental company will probably insist that you have a valid tourist visa.

If you drive someone else's car be sure to have a card that authorizes you to drive and check with the owner's insurance company to be sure you are covered. If you are stopped by the police at a puesto de control (common in the provincias) you shouldn't have any trouble with your foreign license and passport.

Those are the bureaucratic requirements. There are practical requirements, as well.

1. Learn to turn right from the the left lane, and vice versa.
2. Learn to parallel park by bashing both the car in front and the car behind you.
3. Learn to take up two lanes of traffic using only one vehicle.
4. Learn that pedestrians produce less damage to your vehicle if you are accelerating rather than braking.
5. Learn that the brake is actually that button with the horn symbol located on the steering wheel.
6. Learn there is always space for one more car in the intersection after your light has turned red.
7. Learn how to throw trash out of your window with one hand while changing the radio station with the other.

And many more ...

I agree with Steve, unless you are living her permanently you don't need one. I've been here for 5 years and never had an issue, in fact I was parking a rental car Saturday night in Resistencia when a dumbass drove his moped into the driver's side door. The local police handled it all well, they had never seen a license from Washington state and were very curious about life in the US and how I ended up in northern Argentina after they had taken down all the details of the collision. Avis seems to be handling the accident calmly as well, although things probably won't be completely resolved with their insurance for a month or two. Of course the idiot who hit me had no helmet, shoes, license or insurance, and the moped he borrowed had no insurance or registration. He didn't get a ticket either, that surprised me but I think the police felt sorry for the poor schmuck who appeared to not be doing well economically.

I agree with Steve, unless you are living her permanently you don't need one. I've been here for 5 years and never had an issue, in fact I was parking a rental car Saturday night in Resistencia when a dumbass drove his moped into the driver's side door. The local police handled it all well, they had never seen a license from Washington state and were very curious about life in the US and how I ended up in northern Argentina after they had taken down all the details of the collision. Avis seems to be handling the accident calmly as well, although things probably won't be completely resolved with their insurance for a month or two. Of course the idiot who hit me had no helmet, shoes, license or insurance, and the moped he borrowed had no insurance or registration. He didn't get a ticket either, that surprised me but I think the police felt sorry for the poor schmuck who appeared to not be doing well economically.

kurtdillard, So you did all this in English or Argentinean Castellano? If your comment here the incident based upon, Moped hit your car and all present police and your percetion and interpretation of them, Did you had to talk English or all these took place in Espanyol? If all these took place in Spanish your Castellano must be very, very good. Only 5 years living in Argie and you have mastered the Espanyol only in such short time? Me, being in the staes for dozens of years but still can not master the English!

Agreed - I have a car here and haven't bothered to get an Argentine drivers license. Never really seen the need.

si Phillip DT

Anyone here could change the keyboard to International... :D or use the folowing key combination, must hold down Alt key( right side) and enter 164 or 165. Do not press the plus sign jajjajaajja. (I did)

Alt+164 = n
Alt+165 = N

See article in link for step by step procedure

http://hipermegared.net/2010/05/10/agrega-la-letra-n-y-acentos-en-pc-portatiles-con-teclado-ingles-de-estados-unidos/

Fo accents in the international keyboard.
ALT + N = Ñ
ALT + A = Á
ALT + E = É
ALT + I = Í
ALT + O = Ó
ALT + U = Ú
ALT + / = ¿
ALT + = ¡

I got one for driving a car in 2008 only because of being stopped so often (?) and being told that I should have one if living here over so many days.
It was made easier by having perm res. Only tests were the eye and road sign tests. Took about 40 mins and cost $50.

Back