Driving

What about insurance? The car owner has to have it, not me? Where can I find out for sure. I don't want to do anything to mess up my pensioners visa.
You would need what's called a "Celula de Identificacion de vehiculos" to be able to drive the car legally. It's a document that says that you are authorized to drive it. My wife and I each have to have one to be able to drive our car. This is not a license. It's pretty cheap and easy to get but the titular of the car has to request it, if I am remembering correctly.

I remember having obtained an international driver's license once in the US at the AAA to drive in Central America. The equivalent here would be ACA and I guess you could inquire there too.

What about insurance? The car owner has to have it, not me? Where can I find out for sure. I don't want to do anything to mess up my pensioners visa.
To expand on what I said before, you need that cedula only if you are driving the car and the titular is not in the car. If he/she is in the car, you don't need it. You should ask your friend if his/her car insurance would cover you, since his organization is a type of business.

You would need what's called a "Celula de Identificacion de vehiculos" to be able to drive the car legally. It's a document that says that you are authorized to drive it. My wife and I each have to have one to be able to drive our car. This is not a license. It's pretty cheap and easy to get but the titular of the car has to request it, if I am remembering correctly.

The Cedula Azul allows you to drive someone else's vehicle. . The Cedula Azul can be applied for on line
, see link below

https://www.argentina.gob.ar/tramitar-una-cedula-para-autorizado-conducir

I get stopped constantly at controls on the autopistas. I show my California DL and US passport and they don't seem to mind.

I get stopped constantly at controls on the autopistas. I show my California DL and US passport and they don't seem to mind.

"As a tourist, foreign drivers are free to roam the mean streets of Argentina with an international driving permit and a valid foreign license; however, residents must obtain an Argentine driver's license. (Note: Foreigners cannot apply for a driver's license without a DNI.)1 mar. 2015 "

"If you live in Argentina permanently, you must apply for an Argentine license. To get your Argentine driving license, visit the Dirección General de Transportes with your resident visa, your passport, your DNI and your national driving license. The duration of your Argentine license will be equivalent to the duration of your visa. If you are a permanent resident, the duration of your license Argentina will be of 5 years (renewable).

When you are stopped at the Autopista the cop doesn't know you migratory status, he believes you area tourist... Once a policeman asked how long have you been in the country, I answered 2 months..!
I inquired because for 5 years I drove being a resident carrying an international drivers license. I was warned twice that I needed an Argentine Drivers License. .
If you are involved in an accident and it comes to out, that you are a permanent resident , then your lawyer will have to explain why you didn't get an Argentine drivers license after 6 months, as the Law prescribes?
Your insurance company may question their liability....?

can I drive here on a US drivers license ?
You can get an International Driver's Permit from AAA, by mail. Download the form, fill it and mail it with a photo of your US driver's license and a check for the fee, and you'll have a permit good for a year.

That, plus a valid US license, satisfies the local cops. Been doing that for thirty years, without any trouble. Best of luck....!

You can get an International Driver's Permit from AAA, by mail. Download the form, fill it and mail it with a photo of your US driver's license and a check for the fee, and you'll have a permit good for a year.

That, plus a valid US license, satisfies the local cops. Been doing that for thirty years, without any trouble. Best of luck....!

Very true... . The cops on the road will never know you can happily drive BUT ..If involved in an accident or insurance claim situation, it may be construed that you were Not legal on the road as a Permanent Resident.. .:oops:o_O

Back