Economists in Buenos Aires

caballito24

Registered
Hi there, I am an exchange student here in BsAs, and I'm staying here this summer (read: winter) to start research on my senior thesis. I'm starting by looking at global financial crises over the past ten years (big topic, I know) and I'd like to talk to any economists/academics in BsAs that are knowledgeable about the crisis in 2001. If you know anyone that could be of help, please send me a PM. Thanks.

Domingo Cavallo is one of them but probably now is giving lectures in USA (poor guys) one of the Chicago Boys who sent this country straight to the pits.

Another could be José Alfredo Martínez de Hoz another ex-Chicago Boy this one also made sure this country went bankrupt.

There still one around here, his name is Ricardo Lopez Murphy other glorious ex-Chicago guy, a beauty

To start that will be enough for the moment.

Lucas said:
Domingo Cavallo is one of them but probably now is giving lectures in USA (poor guys) one of the Chicago Boys who sent this country straight to the pits.

Another could be José Alfredo Martínez de Hoz another ex-Chicago Boy this one also made sure this country went bankrupt.

There still one around here, his name is Ricardo Lopez Murphy other glorious ex-Chicago guy, a beauty

To start that will be enough for the moment.

I thought Cavallo went to Harvard...

BTW, about R.L.M. If I remember right, he left his charge after a couple of weeks because of some serious disagreement. He didn't have time to destroy everything (or otherwise). I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, at least. I know zero about economics, but I don't think it takes much knowledge to see that in this country the minister of economy is pretty much like a football DT, and blaming everything on them is common place. Always the first to be replaced, probably because their plans aren't good enough to improve the economy and allow the looting to go on at the same time. Yes, they could be looters themselves, but in such case they'd be ready to compromise the "conflictive" points and stay in charge for the government's sake and their own. My impression, at least.

Not really on-topic, Caballito. Sorry. My reply below.

I am a PhD student currently researching in Argentina. I come from a sociology/politics background, so might not be able to help you out in strict economic terms, but feel free to ask any questions etc.

[email protected]

caballito24 said:
I'd like to talk to any economists/academics in BsAs that are knowledgeable about the crisis in 2001.

Sorry, I can't PM you anyone I know personally.

Ricardo Lopez Murphy is knowledgeable enough for sure. You could try to contact him. If you're really interested about the crisis of 2001, he could tell you what he saw from his position of Minister of Economy, about nine months before the crash. He must have seen it coming because he came up with a plan drastic and unpopular enough to get him fired in less than two weeks. He's on Facebook.

Hache said:
I thought Cavallo went to Harvard...

Yes, he did his doctorate in Harvard but was an advocate and follower of the Chicago Boys doctrine, so much that sunk the country in the deepest hole in his history.

Lucas said:
Yes, he did his doctorate in Harvard but was an advocate and follower of the Chicago Boys doctrine, so much that sunk the country in the deepest hole in his history.

What's the doctrine about? Would you say anything he'd have done as Minister, had he stayed longer, would have brought more damage? And was there anything he could have done at that point to avoid the disaster, anyway? I must say that from my uneducated point of view, I liked seeing someone ready to take unpopular measures if needed. I don't see that too often, here...

Hache said:
What's the doctrine about?

Deregulate, privatise, allow free flows of money in and out of the country, cut back on social welfare (don't want to spoil the proles).

Hache said:
What's the doctrine about? Would you say anything he'd have done as Minister, had he stayed longer, would have brought more damage? And was there anything he could have done at that point to avoid the disaster, anyway? I must say that from my uneducated point of view, I liked seeing someone ready to take unpopular measures if needed. I don't see that too often, here...

Actually what happened in Argentina is a little more complicated than a few Neo-Con economists from the Chicago school. Actually the country that really implemented most of what they advocated has done very well since, Chile. If you want to learn more I have included a link to a Wikipedia article. I am hopeful that one day Argentina will learn from it's neighbors experiences and implement the same policies here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_Chile

Philsword said:
Actually what happened in Argentina is a little more complicated than a few Neo-Con economists from the Chicago school. Actually the country that really implemented most of what they advocated has done very well since, Chile. If you want to learn more I have included a link to a Wikipedia article. I am hopeful that one day Argentina will learn from it's neighbors experiences and implement the same policies here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_Chile

Hope they don't...

The mirage of the Chilean miracle
...as told by an Chilean-Argentinian.

Julio A. Constantino - Mayo 22, 2011

Tengo la doble ciudadanía argentina y chilena. He vivido mayormente en Argentina, aunque también algo en Chile, además de unos cuantos años en EE.UU.He sido testigo y víctima como pequeño empresario de los desastres de la política neoliberal en los últimos cuatro años del inefable Menem y subsecuentemente de el gobierno de De La Rúa.

Me consta que las políticas económicas inspiradas en el consenso de Washington son nefastas para los pueblos, y para el análisis de la economía como ciencia en busca del impulso hacia el bienestar general, simplemente estúpidas.

Estuve todo el año 2009 en Chile y charlando con amigos de vasta cultura y mente abierta, me sorprendió escuchar que Chile no tenía deuda externa… Como me costaba tragar ese bocado porque simplemente no encontraba lógico tanto “desarrollo” léase autopistas, etc, etc… usando solo el dinero producido en el país, considerando que la industria es casi inexistente, me senté en mi computador y en el buscador tecleé “deuda externa de Chile”. Sugiero a los lectores hacer lo mismo, y de paso les sugiero analizar las opiniones de Joseph Stiglitz con respecto a Chile en particular y a la mecánica de trabajo del FMI y del Banco Mundial, como para tener una visión acerca de los posibles pasos con respecto a la parte privada de la deuda total de Chile a la banca extranjera.

Como ejemplo pueden estudiar lo hecho por Domingo Cavallo, Chicago boy, como presidente del Banco Central argentino durante el gobierno militar… en cuatro palabras, nacionalizar la deuda privada. Es decir, hacer cargo al erario público de la deuda privada…

Finalmente, decidí quedarme en Argentina, el gobierno actual no es lo más cercano a mi corazón, pero lo defino como el menos malo desde que tengo uso de razón… cosa en la que, creo, ya llevo unas décadas. Las universidades públicas y gratuitas siguen siendo las mejores y puedo entrar a un hospital y me atienden sin pedirme un peso… Si bien el neoliberalismo intentó quedarse también con la salud y la educación pública y privatizarla, no pudo con ello… Gracias a la reacción del pueblo…

En fin… Me da pena el Chile cuna y casa de mi padre. Me dió mucha pena ver a pobres votando por Piñera, aunque para el caso la Concertación no era alternativa. No cuesta darse cuenta de dónde vino el dinero con el que Bachelet se ganó la aprobación que ostentaba… De afuera… Analicen la deuda y verán…

En Argentina, para el 83 voté a Alfonsín, decepcionado, para el 85,
para las siguientes elecciones parlamentarias, no sabía a quién votar… un viejo sabio me dijo “Quien desea el poder, no lo merece”, y voté por el único partido que no había hecho publicidad paga… Mi conclusión es, que nadie que lo busque merece el poder, pero alguien debe gobernarnos, entonces… que sea el menos malo, si no es mucho pedir….

Deuda Externa Chilena - 2010 - xls document

Al 31.12.2010 La Deuda Externa de Chile es US$ 86,040.000.000 (SPrivado 68.638 + SPublico 17.402). Reservas Internacionales US$ 27,863.700 000. Por lo tanto: Si Chile Pagara su deuda hoy seria de US$ 58,177.000 000 Fuentes Oficiales : BCRCH y la 2da de chile. http://www.la2da.cl/modulos/busqued...e=deuda externa&strFechaDesde=&strFechaHasta=

Cheers

Back