Effects of eventual rise in colectivo fares

Lee said:
I can see the some protests coming out of this!

They better hurry and protest before Friday because after that it will cost $2.50 to get down to Plaza de Mayo ;)

Holden said:
They better hurry and protest before Friday because after that it will cost $2.50 to get down to Plaza de Mayo ;)

Do you think its worth buying a couple of hundrew tickets today (Or will I need permission from AFIP !)

2,5 does not sound so bad. One big issue (when colectivo fares rise too), if you need i.e. colectivo=>subte=>colectivo to go to your destination, you pay three times.
Those who have the money might be more likely to use combis since the price difference decreases, leading to more traffic.
Those who don't have the money, well, I don't know what they'll do. It sounds so little money, but in 2010, 9 pesos were the price of a 90-minute Salsa class.

Hellek said:
2,5 does not sound so bad. One big issue (when colectivo fares rise too), if you need i.e. colectivo=>subte=>colectivo to go to your destination, you pay three times.
Those who have the money might be more likely to use combis since the price difference decreases, leading to more traffic.
Those who don't have the money, well, I don't know what they'll do. It sounds so little money, but in 2010, 9 pesos were the price of a 90-minute Salsa class.

Once again, I have to remind you that most Argentines do not earn dollars and do not have money coming from outside the country. $2,50 is quite a lot to ride a bus (no air conditioning, people packed in like sardines) when your salary is low.

It's true that many people have to change buses or change from subway to bus or vice versa. No discounts. No unlimited ride passes as in other cities around the world. I remember a number of years ago talking to a cleaner in an office. She told me where she lived and how she got there: walked several km to the train and then rode an hour to her home. I asked why she didn't take a bus to the train. She explained that she simply could not afford it. So for those who say that $2,50 is not much because they are used to paying more in Seattle or wherever, I think they might put themselves in the shoes of the majority of people in BA, thousands of whom travel very long distances under bad conditions to get to work. I predict it won't be $2,50 for long. In a few months it could be $3,50!

Anyway, what does Macri care? I doubt he's ever ridden a bus. Reminds me of a character in a film called "Cama adentro" in which a once affluent Porteña was forced to reduce her standard of living during the crisis. She got on a bus and handed the driver a couple of bills (notes), not having the slightest idea how to travel on a colectivo.

I hardly think it's that Macri "doesn't care". The fares- thanks to huge increases in costs of gas, salaries of the union members that work increasing 20-30% a year, etc - simply weren't sustainable.

Prices had to increase - how else were they going to pay to run the system? Gov't can't foot the bill forever and inflationary pressures are catching up. The piper has to be paid eventually.

Buenos Aires has difficulty keeping the lights on now and any thought of improving Subte service with air conditioned cars and increased service is a pipe dream. The government needs to divert some of the subsidies they give AFA FUTBALL (futbol-para-todos) into infrastructure. Wheels have fallen off the bus, but I keep coming back.:D

Well, if anyone in the city or national government truly cared, they would have implemented increases every year. In 2008 when I first arrived, a ticket cost $0.90. Later in 2009, it rose to $1.10. If they would have raised the fare $0.35 every 6 months (January 2010, June 2010, January 2011, June 2012), we'd be at $2.50 right now, and people would have been able to adjust. What these politicians truly care about is votes, which is why no one had the gumption to make the decision to slowly peel away the subsidies.

I doubt that there is an unsubsidized public transportation system in the world. These systems are a necessity to not only move the people around but to reduce pollution, etc. The actual cost of public transport is beyond the means of those that need it. Those that could afford an unsubsidized public transport wouldn't take it. They have cars and drivers. That is why there has to be a progressive tax base. To provide public services including public transport.

Chris has it right. In nine out of ten conversations with expats AND Argentines, the salary plight of the average Argentine is never taken into consideration when the subject of inflation and salaries is discussed. In particular, when clarifying this point with "middle-class" Argentines who have decent salaries or incomes, the most frequent response I receive is nothing but a wordless, blank stare, which means, obviously, that the situation is something they haven't (or don't want to) think about. With many Argentines (and notably Portenos), this ignoring of the seriousness of inflation and the disparity of salaries is the rule as opposed to exception.

Back