El Alamo...great place minus the obvious! (Owner read)

NikBaires

Registered
I'm sure many of you have been to the Alamo...for major games or maybe all the time. I'm fairly regular but have the best chance of my concerns on a public forum....I know the owner checks here once in awhile. Cool place. BUT.....two huge air conditioners and it's still very hot, bartenders who are good bartenders but again exhausted by the heat and not attentive, Security is GREAT, bathrooms lack toilet paper or no a seat on any toilets. Spend the extra LITTLE money and make it a place people want to come to.....not a place we come to because it's close...

Sincerely,

Your customers who actually buy mixed drinks...not a huge pitcher of beer for 20 people and spend more than the required 30 pesos.

El Alamo is a cool bar....but come on! Little expenditures will make a HUGE difference!

The Alamo is horrible. go somewhere else

Once, my husband saw a cockroach near the kitchen and i found a plunger tossed by the faucet in the girl's bathroom.

i have seen disgusting places before in my life but not so obvious.

go to Casa Bar. its chilled and has good drinks...or Le Bar if you wanna make it a hip night.

I went there once several years ago to celebrate the 4th of July. Wretched hamburger and service. The beer was cold though.

Staff is inexperienced and poorly trained. Bartenders who handle germ-ridden money use their hands to put ice in drinks without a thought, waitresses who have handled money thoughtlessly put hands on rims of drink glasses and beer pitchers, kitchen looked infested, food is horrible, smoking is allowed (questionable claim of right to do so) so the room is smoke-filled as well as so noisy you can't hear the audio. There's often a wait in a line to get in because young (very young) local kids think its a cool place despite the entrance fee/minimum. Drinks and bar food are not inexpensive.
The owner has no clue how to run the place, but will come to this forum to express bewilderment why expats don't like his place. The place is a testament that even a crappy bar can succeed if it finds a niche. Alamo's niche is young Argentines who don't care about sports and the unsuspecting first time expats who soon discover how uncomfortable it is to sit through a sporting event in "Shoeless Joe's". One of the worst bars I have ever had the misfortune to live near to.

I agree with most people on this forum, but I like Alamo. I go there for a lot of sporting events and I like the RA RA atmosphere. That being said, the bathrooms are a mess and usually the toilet is broken. Upstairs, I went in one day when there was no one in there and the smell of stale beer almost knocked me to my knees. They need to take a firehose to that upstairs portion haha...but all in all, I like the bar and have met a lot of good friends there. Just a little maintenance would turn that place into a great place to be!

Now, I've tried the Casa Bar a couple times, but the bad feeds on football games drove me fcking nuts. It is pretty nice though. I've also tried Sugar, but thought it was a death trap. I always seemed to end up at Alamo.

What are some of the names of the other bars and their locations? Where else have you guys been?

who is the owner of El Alamo? Argentine ? Profile id here??

I agree with most of the compliants here, but the fact that most of the crowd doesn't care about sports can turn out to be a good thing for those of us who do care. The few times that I have been, I got to decide what game the whole bar watched (UT games, of course!), and nobody gave a damn.

I'll put up with the bad if I'm able to watch a game that I would otherwise be stuck watching on my computer at home. But sometimes the slingbox doens't have the best feed.

The two owners of El Alamo are US citizens. There are two other El Alamo locations, one in Medellin and the other in Key West. We will be opening another location in Buenos Aires in either the Palermo or Belgrano neighborhoods a few months from now.
To the poster who claim "the owners don't know how to run the place" I just simply laugh and shrug my shoulders. The members of the forum should understand that although El Alamo is the only place to get all US and most international sports live via satellite in Buenos Aires, the sports aspect is a very small part of the business. El Alamo thrives as the closest thing to a US-style fraternity party in Buenos Aires and as such caters to the type of people who enjoy that type of chaotic setting.

ElAlamoBar said:
The two owners of El Alamo are US citizens. There are two other El Alamo locations, one in Medellin and the other in Key West. We will be opening another location in Buenos Aires in either the Palermo or Belgrano neighborhoods a few months from now.
To the poster who claim "the owners don't know how to run the place" I just simply laugh and shrug my shoulders. The members of the forum should understand that although El Alamo is the only place to get all US and most international sports live via satellite in Buenos Aires, the sports aspect is a very small part of the business. El Alamo thrives as the closest thing to a US-style fraternity party in Buenos Aires and as such caters to the type of people who enjoy that type of chaotic setting.

Chaotic is all well and good if you like that, but hygiene is hygiene.

Back