Electricity increases 400%?

BlahBlah said:
Extremely poor = I assume around 500 peso of montly income
Poor = I assume around 1000 peso nowadays

With figures like that I am sure there is less poverty

Now you tell me who this increase affects!

nikad is right. Yesterday, it was sad to listen to the news that poverty in Argentina has reached 40%. In church, people who give cannot give so much and fast enough or often enough to help those who are unfortunate. And if we think there is less poverty here, some people need to go out more, to see the real poverty. It is so heartbreaking that some make light of it. Children are the innocent collaterals of this silent killer called malnutrition - a direct effect of poverty!
The increase in utilities affect every single one of us - for the person that makes bread will charge more because he has to pay more in electricity...

nikad said:
Now you tell me who this increase affects!

Your the one who say the poor people live in the villa and they steal there electricity, so it's not affecting them

Grazie said:
nikad is right. Yesterday, it was sad to listen to the news that poverty in Argentina has reached 40%. In church, people who give cannot give so much and fast enough or often enough to help those who are unfortunate. And if we think there is less poverty here, some people need to go out more, to see the real poverty. It is so heartbreaking that some make light of it. Children are the innocent collaterals of this silent killer called malnutrition - a direct effect of poverty!
The increase in utilities affect every single one of us - for the person that makes bread will charge more because he has to pay more in electricity...

That's what happens if you waste tax money on subsidies for the middle class and have 21% IVA on food

But hey, the middle class can take the bus for 1,10 peso

BlahBlah said:
Your the one who say the poor people live in the villa and they steal there electricity, so it's not affecting them
Excuse me? I believe you are not comprehending what you read correctly, but nevermind.

BlahBlah said:
That's what happens if you waste tax money on subsidies for the middle class and have 21% IVA on food

But hey, the middle class can take the bus for 1,10 peso
You obviously not have a clue on what teh government considers middle class, and yet you keep going. You need to know the facts before engaging into sterile arguments.

nikad said:
You obviously not have a clue on what teh government considers middle class, and yet you keep going. You need to know the facts before engaging into sterile arguments.

I have. So what's your point again?

nikad said:
excuse me? I believe you are not comprehending what you read correctly, but nevermind.

nikad said:
i was referring to what they call middle class in my post. as a side note, most people in villas steal electricity using clandestine connections. the ones that historically are royally scre***ed here are middle class families that have to pay a rent or try to buy their own place instead of having the benefit of being an "okupa", that pay all their bills, instead of being " colgados ", etc

fyi.........

You keep quoting the wrong stuff, here it is what I said, anyways. I have to go back to work, I am middle class ;)

Thanks! I have lived here all my life though. Do you know that what the call middle class here is any family with an income of 3000 pesos or more? Imagine renting, sending your kid/s to school, eating, and paying these bills... It sounds fair in theory when you hear that is is to get middle/upper classes to pay more, the reality is very different!

The point is that this hits lower middle class family income harder than anyone. People earning a household income of 3000 pesos are not rolling in benjamins, this tax cut hits a demographic which is struggling anyway.

Upper middle class and wealthy people can bear the cost albeit grudgingly, but this is the sort of measure that can actually increase poverty by pushing already struggling families over the poverty threshold by taking a significant bite out of their income.

More on the definition of poverty here:
http://www.indec.gov.ar/principal.asp?id_tema=84

Poverty is a relative measure and based on ability to buy essential services and food. Whilst the very bottom tier of society might be unaffected by the price hike, the next tier up will get hit very hard. This isn't the rich losing a subsidy, its almost everybody getting hit equally, including those least able to pay.

Back