Electronics, Furniture, Oh my!

duffdouglas

Registered
I am moving to BA in August and am contemplating what to bring. I am an audio phile for sure that loves big TV's and big sound.

What is the average price of a 42-50" Flat screen TV?

What is the average price for a HT Stereo set up?

Lastly, does anyone know the going rate for a PS3 in BA?

Actually one more thing - are there any good online shops where I can order stuff like Bestbuy.com in the States or FutureShop in Canada?

Thanks!

I agree with Neil, GET INSURANCE if you wanna have nice stuff here, because people will take it. And make sure the policy actually covers the items you own. I found out the hard way. Here is my crime report for the last year- my wallet and ID stolen the first week here. 3 months later my car was stolen but recovered 23 blocks from my house. 1 month later a window was smashed on the car and my GPS stolen from under my seat. 3 months ago I also had a burglary of my home and they got lotsa stuff. No renters insurance either. DOH! Then, two weeks ago, my car was in the shop for extensive repairs and the mechanic forgot to lock the back door, so someone got into it one night and took my 1200 peso amplified subwoofer... No me gustan los ladrones.:mad:

I hope you guys don't mind if I ask for a bit of advice on the whole importing electronics into Argentina topic. I am now going through a bit of a hassle with the Aduana in Correo Argentina. I have a package of repair parts for an electric water distiller waiting to be picked up that was mailed from the US. They tell me it will cost 400 pesos for the impuestos since they are "electronicos". In reality they are electrical mechanical devices, 2 mechanical switches and 1 water inlet regulator. Total value of the electrical items in the box- $79.00 USD. These 3 items have electrical connectors on them and the other 3 items in the box do not. They have a value of $150.90 USD. My questions are: Do I have to pay an import tax on the items since they are not actually electronics (no micro processors, integrated circuits and such)? If this sounds like too much of a weasely question, so be it. :D If these items are considered electronics, do I have to pay a fee for the non electrical items too? Thanks for any light you may be able to shine on the subject!

Thanks for the words of advice. I am getting apartment insurance for sure and have decided not to ship in my TV but to get one here in BA.

Still deciding on iPhones though. I wonder how much of a target an iPhone would be. Hmm.

I'm bringing a 46" Samsung LCD TV from the US when I return next month. Even with paying the airline fees and duties, I figure I'll save over US $1000 for a comparable model here. You will need a power converter for it. if you want to read about someone else bringing in a flat screen, go here: http://www.argentinepost.com/2010/02/the-samsung-led-hdtv-i-brought-to-argentina.html I decided on the LCD model because I can get it for about US $850, which means only $275 in tax.

Also, as a foreigner coming through EZE, you have a lot more flexibility as to what you can bring in. When I arrived here, I had 2 laptops, 27" Dell monitor, desktop PC, Nintendo Wii, video camera, digital camera, power converters, etc. Not speaking Spanish helped too. They asked if I was leaving with all of this and I said yes.

I now have a residency and came through EZE last month with digital camera, two iPhones, desktop PC, video camera, two Vonage routers, TomTom GPS and a Herman Miller Aeron chair (huge box). I paid the duties on the brand new Aeron chair, but told him everything else was old/used. They let me through with no problems after paying the duties on the chair only.

I also have a jail-broken and unlocked iPhone 3G that I use all the time with no issues though I do check my surroundings before using it when on the street.

Adios_USA said:
I am now going through a bit of a hassle with the Aduana in Correo Argentina...Do I have to pay an import tax on the items since they are not actually electronics (no micro processors, integrated circuits and such)? If this sounds like too much of a weasely question, so be it. :D If these items are considered electronics, do I have to pay a fee for the non electrical items too?...

Unless you can talk them out of it, you have to pay what they say you have to pay...if you want your stuff.

If they give you a receipt for the full amount at least you aren't paying a bribe...

Sleuth said:
Also, as a foreigner coming through EZE, you have a lot more flexibility as to what you can bring in. When I arrived here, I had 2 laptops, 27" Dell monitor, desktop PC, Nintendo Wii, video camera, digital camera, power converters, etc. Not speaking Spanish helped too. They asked if I was leaving with all of this and I said yes.

don't be so sure about your better on way as a foreigner but not speaking Spanish will help you surely at customs. Up to middle of 2005 there wasn't any customs here at EZE. On my first trip I was a little bit wondering about it as I was going out of the building without any control and ask my friend about we are going out the correct "legal" way :D

Sleuth said:
I now have a residency and came through EZE last month with digital camera, two iPhones, desktop PC, video camera, two Vonage routers, TomTom GPS and a Herman Miller Aeron chair (huge box). I paid the duties on the brand new Aeron chair, but told him everything else was old/used. They let me through with no problems after paying the duties on the chair only.

That was real luck (as about the iPhones) even you only have U$ 300 (over that you will pay 50% of value) to bring stuff free of duty into the country. Other small stuff will not be a problem if it isn't in original box or have some scratches. Some prepared bills with low value will help you too if you get in trouble about the duty-fees.

Is there a problem with the Ar signal (I believe pal n) and the US signal.

Bring audio equipment with you. The high end stuff costs 2 to 4 times the price here, and thats with massively restricted availability. It sucks having to buy your 4th choice and pay 3 times as much for the privilege.

Anything you can pack and put in a suitcase - bring it! Its a lot easier to bring things in person. Not so easy for a flatscreen TV, but at least when you buy a TV here, you can sell it for a decent percentage of its overinflated value when you leave.

iphones are available here, they're expensive and only really available on contract - which you'll struggle to get without a DNI. Your own iphone is unlikely to work unless its cracked, which always presents a risk. Plenty of people have them and use them though, you just need to be careful waving them about in the street, and its best not to walk about with them in your hand. Sounds dumb, but people do it...

jp said:
Bring audio equipment with you. The high end stuff costs 2 to 4 times the price here, and thats with massively restricted availability. It sucks having to buy your 4th choice and pay 3 times as much for the privilege.

Anything you can pack and put in a suitcase - bring it! Its a lot easier to bring things in person. Not so easy for a flatscreen TV, but at least when you buy a TV here, you can sell it for a decent percentage of its overinflated value when you leave.

iphones are available here, they're expensive and only really available on contract - which you'll struggle to get without a DNI. Your own iphone is unlikely to work unless its cracked, which always presents a risk. Plenty of people have them and use them though, you just need to be careful waving them about in the street, and its best not to walk about with them in your hand. Sounds dumb, but people do it...

I'll second that...Electronics here are prohibitively expensive. Even if you end, up paying duty on items (last time I checked you had to pay 50% of the price of all items above US$ 300 - for example, for a US$ 500 TV, you'd pay US$100 duty), they're still way cheaper than you'd find them here (sometimes much more than x3 the price - I saw a flat screen TV 8x what the same model cost in the UK!). I also think that if you come here with a residents visa already in place, you can avoid/pay less duty (you'd have to check this). The Iphone costs twice the price here than it does in the US...you'd be better bringing an unlocked one with you.
Also, I have no idea what shipping costs are, but good furniture is also difficult to find/expensive here.

Back