Empanadas...mmmmm

A relative recommended El Sanjuanino and I tried it. Not bad for empanadas. Actual spice in the picantes.

I'm still fond of the giant empanadas in Chile though.

http://elsanjuanino....sucursales.html

Chilean empanadas are usually too large and doughy, and the fillings generally inferior to what you find in Argentina. The exception is seafood - I love an empanada filled with scallops, for instance.

Coincidentally my wife and I were out yesterday and she pointed to a little hole-in-the-wall place on Posadas near Callao and said "I've been wanting to try that place. I hear they have really good empanadas." Then I came home and later read about El Sanjuanino (obviously, the place we saw) in this thread and we decided to try them.

We went today for lunch. They were OK, and certainly had more flavor than many empanadas I've had here. We bought carne picante, pollo and jamon y queso. With the carne and the pollo, there was some kind of strange flavor that I didn't quite care for, it was almost a vinager-like flavor that put me off a little bit. Half of the empanadas were oven burned (we didn't get any fried) and they didn't paint them with egg yolk (which adds a nice crispy-ness that I like). but they were juicy, which I love - dry empanadas tend to stick in my throat :)

But I've had better. I'd rank this place about in the middle.

My wife ordered a bife de chorizo, though, that I was impressed with. It was not cut in the usual NY Strip fashion, but rather more like an ojo de bife (I was surprised at how big it was, haven't seen one cut like that in a long time). Nice, tender meat (but definitely bife de chorizo).

But I've never had empanadas that I could just die for. I'm going to have to try some of the places mentioned previously in the thread. Of course, could be I'm just not an empanada kinda guy...

Tuna oversized empanada is a classic for Easter.
So Brunette, I tried La Morada, empanadas tucumanas and... in comparison to La Zoila:
the dough is a lot better and it's painted with egg yolks. A little heavier maybe but I don't complain about that.
The filling (carne picante) is not that good. There are single big pieces of meat (and egg...ugh) but not what I remember (from years ago!) to be carne cortada a cuchillo. Not spicy at all, but also not very savory either.
The Choclo empanadas are actually a lot better and tastier than La Zoila, so thank you for that!
Still, since I like meat empanadas, I'll have to go again to La Zoila next time.
La Zoila, empanadas saltenias overseen by owner, delicious!

Thanks for the recommendation.I will consider La Ziola in the future. I tried the humita empanada at 1810 and it was a real disgrace!!!!

Does anyone know the cuisine of Corrientes? I have the option of asking a woman from there to cook something typical for me, but I don't know what to ask for, and she's too shy or whatever to make a real suggestion. I heard they have good fish but you can't get river fish in Buenos Aires.

Thanks for the recommendation.I will consider La Ziola in the future. I tried the humita empanada at 1810 and it was a real disgrace!!!!
la zoila (Pena // Pueyrredon Laprid awill not disappoint you
they also have tamales

Just went to 'la morada' a few days ago. I love the place, very unique atmosphere and YES the empanadas were delicious!! I'd definitely recommend to go there BUT- Having said that, I have to admit its not even close to the taste of empanadas tucumanas.....

Just went to 'la morada' a few days ago. I love the place, very unique atmosphere and YES the empanadas were delicious!! I'd definitely recommend to go there BUT- Having said that, I have to admit its not even close to the taste of empanadas tucumanas.....

I guess you went to their place in Yrigoyen! I love it. Their place is Recoleta is Ok. Perhaps they are not totally tucumanas but because the filling is 'carne cortada a cuchillo', they would be more from the north than portenas.

For people living in Belgrano,try Los Leños,excelent empanadas,and I heard that great pizza as well.

What about catamarqueñas empanadas.... not mentioned yet...?

Like From La Cocina...! on Pueyrredon and Arenales?

Back