Employment Needed In January

In the hope of maybe stemming the perennial tide of posts regarding finding work in Buenos Aires:
  • You can only obtain a valid working Visa if you have a company that has the correct paperwork allowing it to employ foreigners willing to sponsor you. 99% of people working in Buenos Aires in this category either work for a government or diplomatic job, or they have been transferred by a multinational.
  • You may be offered work by companies independently exempt from the rule above, invariably you will find that they are clueless towards how to employ a foreigner, and, after having asked you to sort out the paperwork often baulk and withdraw their offer of employment when they find out what it actually entails at their end.
  • The only other people I know who have obtained employment through a work visa in this country are thoroughly committed professionals who spent many months petitioning institutions and contacts in Argentina in search of a position, ie. proper teaching positions at private schools.

The path open to you people eagerly reading these posts (I commend you on your read first, shoot later forum etiquette) or for those who are blindly firing more new threads into the haggled back wall of the firing range that is expat knowledge, all of you are wanting to come down to Argentina to either learn a Spanish dialect that no one else in the world can understand, learn to dance Tango because you are allergic to cats, or learn a different culture outside of your parents' kitchen and the sex-dungeon/ sports-hall perfumed corridors of your college/university halls, let this be at the front of your mind:

In this country you will be an illegal immigrant. You will be Pedro, the gardener or Razvan, the busker in the tube. Of course no one will deport you or look down on you as a second class citizen, ahahahaa, don't be silly. You have foreign currency.
Employment-wise though, do not have a sense of entitlement about you. Argentina is a well educated country with good colleges/universities and they feel that anyone with a degree from an institution in the northern hemisphere is not necessarily going to be an asset to them, nor will your native English/Dutch/German/French/Italian impress the, as Argentines are acutely aware of the fact that they themselves are all European and as such already speak those languages perfectly.

You, my adventurous friends-

-Why did you choose Argentina anyway? I'm really very curious. It sounds like a nice place doesn't it? It is, it is. You will love it here. It's just like the U.S.A or Switzerland. Definitely like Switzerland. Ah, what the hell. I can´t mock. I only found myself here disembarking from a plane a few years ago, with a suitcase full of swimming shorts and polo shirts in the middle of winter, because some guy in a nightclub in Newcastle told me Buenos Aires had a beach and lots of palm trees. Reasons don't matter.​

You, my adventurous friends, will have to find more inventive ways to find employment down here:
  • Teaching English (yey). Good on you. contributing to the education of our South American cousins. There are many, God there are so many threads on this in the forum. Don´t worry about them being up to date and going off and starting a new thread looking for information that's not 3 months old. Everything you need to know is there. It is possible to find work teaching English, yes having TEFL helps I bit I guess, most schools or institutions here don't really care, even Pedro the gardener has a NVQ in tree surgery, so long as you accept the long hours and the pay that would make a west African diamond miner choke on his palm wine (that isn't true I'm sorry. A lot of them are HOSTAGES, which you will be if you have a kid here and the relationship goes sour, remember that) then you should find employment.
  • Contacts, contacts, contacts. Good old-school hob-knobbing. Ask your parents and their friends for contacts here, all your friends, past employers, go to the chamber of commerce, embassy parties, expat parties and you will eventually find a contact with work. This can be very fruitful but it does take time. The most dedicated hob-knobber should expect 6 months of walking the streets between barren meetings and thorough hand shaking and card taking at events in order to reap the big succulent, fruity treat at the end. These jobs are few, but can pay in dollars and are generally interesting, uncategorised jobs. It takes a special sort to this though, depending on your contacts.
  • Nanny/Babysit, clean, busk, private cook. It's been done all over the illegal immigrant world and it works here too.
  • Entrepenurgghhrialism (close enough). Start a business! Yes, you can own and run a business here whilst being one of those darned illegal-immigrants/Perma-tourists. Crazy, right? You will be to go into to business in Argentina (check threads on this). One bit of advice: Get an Argentine business partner that you trust more than your mother and the talking-clock combined. Oh wait, you've just arrived in Argentina haven't you? Meh.
  • Enter the diplomatic corp, or a multinational in your native country. Work there a few years then request a transfer to here. EASY!

So, please do read thoroughly. I personally validate that this information will be current until December 2015 when the next economic crash will hit. As to the actual facts and opinions written above, there are none. I only googled "You People, Tropic of Thunder", "popular Romanian names" and "argentino habla ingles". No research whatsoever. Maybe some corroboration in the replies below might help, so please take the above at face value; a bored expat writing in order to avoid doing something he actually needs to be doing on a Tuesday morning, expatrium-scripturam-ut-procrastinat-itis.

And yes it may appear I have become a bit sarcastic, banal and deranged whilst writing this, but experience generally is quite painful to recount and after all we are expats, we're allowed to do this. Like a farting dog or a racist granny.

I think generally speaking she has already figured out what she wants at this stage in her life. Wow, some people by trying to be "realistic" end up being incredibly mean.
Kathleen: When in Buenos Aires send me a PM, maybe I can help you out with some freelance stuff. Also if you need to brush up your spanish, I'll be happy to help you out. :)

In the hope of maybe stemming the perennial tide of posts regarding finding work in Buenos Aires:
  • You can only obtain a valid working Visa if you have a company that has the correct paperwork allowing it to employ foreigners willing to sponsor you. 99% of people working in Buenos Aires in this category either work for a government or diplomatic job, or they have been transferred by a multinational.
  • You may be offered work by companies independently exempt from the rule above, invariably you will find that they are clueless towards how to employ a foreigner, and, after having asked you to sort out the paperwork often baulk and withdraw their offer of employment when they find out what it actually entails at their end.
  • The only other people I know who have obtained employment through a work visa in this country are thoroughly committed professionals who spent many months petitioning institutions and contacts in Argentina in search of a position, ie. proper teaching positions at private schools.
The path open to you people eagerly reading these posts (I commend you on your read first, shoot later forum etiquette) or for those who are blindly firing more new threads into the haggled back wall of the firing range that is expat knowledge, all of you are wanting to come down to Argentina to either learn a Spanish dialect that no one else in the world can understand, learn to dance Tango because you are allergic to cats, or learn a different culture outside of your parents' kitchen and the sex-dungeon/ sports-hall perfumed corridors of your college/university halls, let this be at the front of your mind:

In this country you will be an illegal immigrant. You will be Pedro, the gardener or Razvan, the busker in the tube. Of course no one will deport you or look down on you as a second class citizen, ahahahaa, don't be silly. You have foreign currency.
Employment-wise though, do not have a sense of entitlement about you. Argentina is a well educated country with good colleges/universities and they feel that anyone with a degree from an institution in the northern hemisphere is not necessarily going to be an asset to them, nor will your native English/Dutch/German/French/Italian impress the, as Argentines are acutely aware of the fact that they themselves are all European and as such already speak those languages perfectly.

You, my adventurous friends-

-Why did you choose Argentina anyway? I'm really very curious. It sounds like a nice place doesn't it? It is, it is. You will love it here. It's just like the U.S.A or Switzerland. Definitely like Switzerland. Ah, what the hell. I can´t mock. I only found myself here disembarking from a plane a few years ago, with a suitcase full of swimming shorts and polo shirts in the middle of winter, because some guy in a nightclub in Newcastle told me Buenos Aires had a beach and lots of palm trees. Reasons don't matter.​

You, my adventurous friends, will have to find more inventive ways to find employment down here:
  • Teaching English (yey). Good on you. contributing to the education of our South American cousins. There are many, God there are so many threads on this in the forum. Don´t worry about them being up to date and going off and starting a new thread looking for information that's not 3 months old. Everything you need to know is there. It is possible to find work teaching English, yes having TEFL helps I bit I guess, most schools or institutions here don't really care, even Pedro the gardener has a NVQ in tree surgery, so long as you accept the long hours and the pay that would make a west African diamond miner choke on his palm wine (that isn't true I'm sorry. A lot of them are HOSTAGES, which you will be if you have a kid here and the relationship goes sour, remember that) then you should find employment.
  • Contacts, contacts, contacts. Good old-school hob-knobbing. Ask your parents and their friends for contacts here, all your friends, past employers, go to the chamber of commerce, embassy parties, expat parties and you will eventually find a contact with work. This can be very fruitful but it does take time. The most dedicated hob-knobber should expect 6 months of walking the streets between barren meetings and thorough hand shaking and card taking at events in order to reap the big succulent, fruity treat at the end. These jobs are few, but can pay in dollars and are generally interesting, uncategorised jobs. It takes a special sort to this though, depending on your contacts.
  • Nanny/Babysit, clean, busk, private cook. It's been done all over the illegal immigrant world and it works here too.
  • Entrepenurgghhrialism (close enough). Start a business! Yes, you can own and run a business here whilst being one of those darned illegal-immigrants/Perma-tourists. Crazy, right? You will be to go into to business in Argentina (check threads on this). One bit of advice: Get an Argentine business partner that you trust more than your mother and the talking-clock combined. Oh wait, you've just arrived in Argentina haven't you? Meh.
  • Enter the diplomatic corp, or a multinational in your native country. Work there a few years then request a transfer to here. EASY!
So, please do read thoroughly. I personally validate that this information will be current until December 2015 when the next economic crash will hit. As to the actual facts and opinions written above, there are none. I only googled "You People, Tropic of Thunder", "popular Romanian names" and "argentino habla ingles". No research whatsoever. Maybe some corroboration in the replies below might help, so please take the above at face value; a bored expat writing in order to avoid doing something he actually needs to be doing on a Tuesday morning, expatrium-scripturam-ut-procrastinat-itis.

And yes it may appear I have become a bit sarcastic, banal and deranged whilst writing this, but experience generally is quite painful to recount and after all we are expats, we're allowed to do this. Like a farting dog or a racist granny.

You can marry someone and become an Argentiene extranjero con residencia permanente with a funny accent and try your luck that way. You'll still be almost unemployable for the first few years of your existence until you can speak bizarro porteño spanish, understanding backwards words and realising that you have to kiss people and ask them about their pet's ailments and how their granny's friend's holidays were before they will even answer an email ! Even at that they will only answer to tell you they are busy, which they probably aren't but making maté and eating facturas is a time intensive activity and the ghost of Eva Peron will haunt your face for many a year if you try and stop them from dithering enjoying their union specified breaks.

However, the bars are open late and your new family will feed you until your clothes explode on the subte.

You'll be fine.

Thank you all for the informative replies. Being an expat myself I understand the difficulties of finding work in foreign countries, I will do as advised and post on craigslist. I do have some money saved away so can be self-sufficient for a while until I find work, however I had hoped to find a few leads before coming over. If February is indeed a better month then perhaps I will come late January and hand out CVs/try to find work then so I can begin in February. Etoile, thank you for your generous offer, I will be coming alone so am relying on the kindness of strangers. At this stage in my life I am not looking to put up roots, I am looking to see what the world has to offer before pressures of societal convention push me into a permanent job. RichardRPTownley, thank you for putting so much effort into your answer. It is always nice to hear encouragement but also to hear what people really think, it is better to go into any situation with eyes wide open.

Kind regards,
Kathleen Cameron

Thank you all for the informative replies. Being an expat myself I understand the difficulties of finding work in foreign countries, I will do as advised and post on craigslist. I do have some money saved away so can be self-sufficient for a while until I find work, however I had hoped to find a few leads before coming over. If February is indeed a better month then perhaps I will come late January and hand out CVs/try to find work then so I can begin in February. Etoile, thank you for your generous offer, I will be coming alone so am relying on the kindness of strangers. At this stage in my life I am not looking to put up roots, I am looking to see what the world has to offer before pressures of societal convention push me into a permanent job. RichardRPTownley, thank you for putting so much effort into your answer. It is always nice to hear encouragement but also to hear what people really think, it is better to go into any situation with eyes wide open.

Kind regards,
Kathleen Cameron

Hi Kathleen,
You actually shouldn't expect to find people to give CVs to in January, many porteños leave the city and business comes to a standstill!!! February is the nearing the end of tourist season too, so no tour companies will be hiring either. The best is to expect that several teaching jobs will be offered on Craigslist around mid to end-February for starting in the first week or two of March. Good luck!

Cameron, almost all of us expats that live here are looking for decent work that pays enough to survive on and with a higher level of castellano than someone who is only beginning to learn. It's nit that easy to get a work visa. Most Argentine employers are going to hire a local before they hire a tourist. Think seriously about that before coming. Or come with enough money to live on and take a baby sitting job or teach English as an experience.

Kathleen, someone else posted recently that they're looking for work here too. You should read about their experience below. It's a dog eat dog world down here, and I wish you the best of luck.

"etoile
Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

Newcomer
As the topic tittle says; I'm looking for a job. I'm currently working on a freelance basis but my contract is about to end since I'm no longer in the UK.
For the last 3 weeks I been applying, attending interviews and getting the most ridiculous offers with a salary that doesn't even cover a rent. Worst offer being $2500 ARS for a Marketing position, not even an internship, a full-time vacancy. Speechless...
For the last 5 years I've mostly worked in the Marketing and Brand industry, from Social Media Marketing campaigns, Content Creation/Management to SEO strategies, Online Reputation, reporting and consulting.
Thou ideally I'd like to continue down that path, I've also worked as a nanny/babysitter, as well as teaching business and marketing in both english and spanish at Berlitz and Wall Street institute in the past. So, I'm truly open to all opportunities.
So, if anyone knows of an opening or job opportunity, even advice, a hint? I'll be greatly appreciated. :)
CV and linkedIn url, also available upon request.

Cheers!

Ve"

Come down and give it a try, but it will likely be teaching English unless you make a big effort prior to arriving. There are still a lot of opportunities for that.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here, and although a lot of responses are sarcastic, what they are saying is true.
I came down at the beginning of July, and I'm still looking for work. The worst offer I was given so far was to work at
a hostel in Palermo, graveyard shift, 9 hours for 100 Whole Argentine Pesos! I thought it was typo, but nope, they wanted
to pay me $1.22/0,91€ an hour. I almost had a stroke.

My advise is to either try to get something lined up here first, bring as close to $10,000 USD in new bills as you can, bring an iPhone
or laptop you can sell if need be, and be prepared to do a lot of stuff you normally wouldn't in order to get by.

I'm going to run out of cash on the 3rd week of September it looks like, I need a job but I can't find one. It's not as easy as
people have let on or how it used to be...

If you don't have good experience or some kind of skill or experience to offer your going to find it hard. Posting on here and expecting someone to give you a job is unlikely to happen but you can always try.

As mentioned before its all about contacts, contacts, contacts.
Send out your CV to companies you like and call after to see if they received it.
Do self initiated projects that will promote your skills.

Keep trying and good luck!

Back