Employment Needed In January

No, I am not. Why is a college graduate looking for work in Buenos Aires? So she can earn a better wage from more satisfying work? She has to figure out what she wants to do in life, but working illegally in BsAs is not the answer.

I often chat with my Argentine friends and they crib how the Americans, and Europeans come and work here illegally. And the Americans and Europeans hate it when other people do it there.

I often chat with my Argentine friends and they crib how the Americans, and Europeans come and work here illegally. And the Americans and Europeans hate it when other people do it there.

They wouldn't be able to work illegally if a (probably) local didn't employ them.

Their whole economy is based on illegal work, both by foreign nationals and Argentines who can't help but work en negro! I don't understand the moral argument of 'taking advantage' of Argentina's incredibly lax immigration policies.

Personally, I work remotely or for people that can pay me in dollars because of my foreign account (and I pay taxes in the states when I have to), is that 'taking a job from a local'? I just like to be here.

To whom it concerns,

I am a recent graduate from Durham University with BA (honours) in Philosophy. In January 2014 I am looking to move to Buenos Aires and work for a minimum of three months, I have experience working as a chef, bartender, with animals, with disabled children and am well traveled. I am pretty open to ideas regarding employment so please contact me if you know of any opportunities arising. I will be teaching myself Spanish over the next six months so hope to have an intermediate level on arrival.

Kind regards,
Kathleen Cameron

Kathleen- I am in the exact same boat as you. I just graduated from Gonzaga University and recently purchased a one-way ticket to BA. You are not alone! I have been hunting for jobs and housing and am fairly optimistic about everything. Contact me if you would like to chat!

Angel is 21 years old from Peru. He came to BsAs for work. He lives in a pension across the street from me on Chile where he rents a room.

He got a job in a grocery store stocking shelves. He worked 12 hours a day, seven days a week, for ten pesos an hour. His life was all about work. He put his resume online and got a call from a restaurant in Recoleta where he works 8 hours a day in the kitchen.

Welcome Kathleen. Good on you for aiming to see more of the world and get different experiences before getting trapped in a full-time job. I wish I'd had the brains to do that when I finished University! Finding work here is hard but I say give it a go anyway. Buenos Aires is a fun city and there always seems to be something going on. Yes, it is more expensive than other South American countries but you can still get by quite cheaply compared to the Western World, so I think if you budgeted $US300 a week for living in Buenos Aires you'd be doing more than fine (most locals certainly get by on less than that). If the job thing doesn't work out, well you've given it a go and you will have learnt something from the experience anyway. Best of luck with your preparations, this is a fun place to be.

I've been spending my days for the past week taking care of a senior gentleman at the Hospital de Clinicas, the huge public hospital on Cordoba and Azcuenaga. He is attended by medical students getting their 4-year residency practice before they are officially doctors.

Diego told me that he works six days a week from 7:00am to 10:00pm and sometimes later. He completed three years of study at UBA medical school. His hourly rate of pay is 24 pesos.

And foreigners have no qualms about moving to this city because it's "fun" and working illegally is better than a full-time job at home.

To whom it concerns,

I am a recent graduate from Durham University with BA (honours) in Philosophy. In January 2014 I am looking to move to Buenos Aires and work for a minimum of three months, I have experience working as a chef, bartender, with animals, with disabled children and am well traveled. I am pretty open to ideas regarding employment so please contact me if you know of any opportunities arising. I will be teaching myself Spanish over the next six months so hope to have an intermediate level on arrival.

Kind regards,
Kathleen Cameron

Hi Katleen,

How are you? are you going ahead with your plan of going to Argentina in January?
Any luck in the job search?

I'll landing in Argentina with my family soon and I think we could help each other ;) at least for a couple of months until my sons start school and you find a more suitable job.

Please PM me ASAP if you are interested as I want to get this sorted before hand.

All the best!

Back