English breakfast

Napoleon said:
Home Hotel has a good breakfast.

Sugar has breakfast on the weekends I think.

The Alvear Palace Hotel's Sunday Brunch is ridiculous(ly expensive).

The Alvear "brunch" isn't really brunch. It's more like linner or lupper. :) It is super expensive but delicious. Thankfully we were invited for a work thing & didn't have to pay. Phew!

I know someone who's planning to open an American Breakfast restaurant. Bacon, real maple syrup, hash browns, pancakes, waffles, omelettes, etc. Will keep everybody posted as it gets close!

Have I missed something here? I'm sure the OP asked about English Breakfast, not the excuse for a decent breakfast that American gorge on..... ;).... (Ducks quickly!)

SaraSara said:
I can handle the rest, but have never mastered the art of making hash browns - they turn out all soggy. Any special secrets?

After you shred them up, put them in some paper towel or cloth and squeeze the heck out of them. This really mushes them up, but they are pretty dry and you can do something, sometimes. This is the only way I can make them at home in a frying pan. I am sure there are better ways. :D

MizzMarr said:
I know someone who's planning to open an American Breakfast restaurant. Bacon, real maple syrup, hash browns, etc. Will keep everybody posted as it gets close!

Perhaps next time I go to Canada I should smuggle down some maple tree saplings and plant them in the south. Start a whole new industry?? :eek:

SaraSara said:
I can handle the rest, but have never mastered the art of making hash browns - they turn out all soggy. Any special secrets?

How are you making them? Starting from frozen, cut-up potatoes or from scratch?

Usually you just fry them in a bit of butter. If they are frozen, then use lots of heat to try and get rid of the water before they get soggy. I usually put it on 5 or 6 in a pan with a few teaspoons of butter and just flip them often.

I start from scratch. Erocifeller's paper towel idea sounds good - will try it next time.

erocifeller said:
After you shred them up, put them in some paper towel or cloth and squeeze the heck out of them. This really mushes them up, but they are pretty dry and you can do something, sometimes. This is the only way I can make them at home in a frying pan. I am sure there are better ways. :D

Yes, you have to let them drain some water on a towel, do not squeeze them too much though. Use a good ( preferably iron pan ) cook in low heat, this will take longer but all the water will evaporate and they will not get mushy ( or burnt ) also, do not move them around! they should be ready to flip over when they can be moved and are not stuck at all - if they are stuck, they are not ready. Then if you like them crispier use higher flame and voila!

Gibraltar in San Telmo does a full english breakfast. Obviously you cant get real baked beans here but he kinda makes his own and they're not bad. the bacon is also not bacon-bacon its kinda thinly sliced fried pork (a different cut). and the sausage is kinda choripan but it works fine. they also do a nice pot of tea for two. also he has HP Sauce if you ask him nicely. every day from midday until 5pm. I like going on a saturday

Mark

Back