English breakfast

Now this is a discussion i can certainly get behind...although, i am all for cooking my "American" breakfast at home...there's nothing like heading out for a "Denny's-style" Grand Slam...their hash browns are to die for!

P.S. The other trick I use for cooking re-crispy hash browns is grating them very fine and then letting the H2O drain out and then drizzle some olive oil on them...let them sit for awhile in the fridge and then pull them out - pan fry and then toss them in the oven (broil temp) for 5 or 7 minutes...

Denny's hash browns are the best, and so is the breakfast sausage. Their sourdough ham and cheese grilled sandwich is heavenly.

Wish it would open a franchise here.

The closest you can get is one of the five star hotels - Alvear Palace, Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, etc. The problem is that if you want a real English breakfast you'll find that they don't know how to grill a tomato, the bacon is not the same. You won't get the sausage you like. Still you can get reasonably close. It used to be inexpensive but inflation and I went frequently. Since inflation has gone wild (several years now) I haven't been once.

Both the Gibraltar and Alamo breakfasts are decent - the problem is Gibraltar doesn't open till 12 and Alamo later I think. Fine if you've had a really late night, but sometimes I'd like a big breakfast at around 9:30-10. Seems there isn't anywhere open that early. True, I can cook it myself, but that means remembering the day before to go out and buy all the ingredients. I'm not good at remembering stuff.

Diskosis said:
I can cook it myself, but that means remembering the day before to go out and buy all the ingredients. I'm not good at remembering stuff.

I have that problem, but then again, if I have been out drinking the night before, I forget who I am, never mind where to buy the bacon :)... I guess it's old age creeping in (or the alcohol!)

nikad said:
hehehehe anytime, hmmm no hangovers right?? ;)
can,t guarantee there will be no hangover.although I have been told you can buy 2 tablets called Falgos,to nullify the hangover.Take one before you drink and one after,,allegedly works great:confused:

Liam3494 said:
Have I missed something here? I'm sure the OP asked about English Breakfast, not the excuse for a decent breakfast that American gorge on..... ;).... (Ducks quickly!)

And thats from an Irishman:D

Only thing that beats an English breakfast is an Irish breakfast (or a Scots one). Gotta go now I am suddenly very hungry.

What's an Irish breakfast like? Or a Scots breakfast? Porridge and scones?

Back