English Words Used in Buenos Aires

lots of people like to use 'OK'
I do notice a lot of usage, but not much makes sense in the way of meaning the "same" thing it does in English. For example, the CHOP or CHOPP used so much in the names and menus of restaurants, also PUB is used differently. In English a Chop House is a steak house, here it's something completely different. BAR is also used slightly differently. BRUNCH is the same as is SALAD BAR. Language, what a journey...

My personal pet-peeve: Container instead of "contenedor" - even La Nacion uses it.

HotYogaTeacher said:
lots of people like to use 'OK'
I do notice a lot of usage, but not much makes sense in the way of meaning the "same" thing it does in English. For example, the CHOP or CHOPP used so much in the names and menus of restaurants, also PUB is used differently. In English a Chop House is a steak house, here it's something completely different. BAR is also used slightly differently. BRUNCH is the same as is SALAD BAR. Language, what a journey...

"Chop/chopp/chope" doesn't come from English. Chope is French meaning a tankard or beer mug.

CHOP: i had never heard it used for beer before coming here, only for food (lamb chop) or signature/seal in asia.

Here are a few more to add to the list:

a full - when someone is super busy. Example: ''Estoy a full!''
barman - Do any English speaking countries actually use the term 'barman' instead of bartender?
meeting
test
spray
marketing
merchandising
spam
ticket
show
hobby
tupper
(for a piece of tupperwear)
break
full-time/part-time
footing
(for jogging/running) - I hate this word!
camping
slips
(for boxer shorts)
ranking
after-office
touch and go
babysitter
time
normally refers to a coffee shop, not a pub)

The ones that irk me most are feeling, look, please, sorry, jet set and fashion. They sound so pretentious when mixed with Spanish.

Y'all forgot a common one:

FREEZER, in all other spanish speaking countries it's called Congelador.

and other common ones are feedback, and dispenser.

That's right, freezer is very common. I has been made into a verb: frizar, used instead of congelar.

There are a few words and expressions used commecially:

speed stick (deodorant)
sleep machine (mattress)
tuning (costomized. as in car)
recycle (remodel, as in apartment)

Interesting how languages influenciate each other here there are more:
pulover (pullover) sueter (sweater), pantymedias, PC (personal computer) tela satin, boulevar (possibly french), sandwich, wiskey, short (pants), snack (also snack-bar), playstation, picknic, DVD, CD, walkman, mouse, pc, aerobics, lunch,tenis, bus, express, motocross, notebook, call center, laptop, cd-rom, short, diskette, DVD, modem, ethernet, basketball, too much, gillete, long play (disk) flash (camera), light, lifting (facial surgery),rafting, personal trainer, etc.

Back