Entering and leaving argentina with different passports

Can anyone else confirm that Canick's scenario is allowed: enter and leave Argentina with passport A, enter and leave another country (in this case, Chile) on passport B, return to Argentina (on either passport?).

I have left Argentina with my Canadian passport, entered the U.S. with my U.S. passport, and returned to Argentina with my Canadian. Not exactly the scenario you're asking about, but I was worried that it would look like I'd never landed in another country. It didn't raise any eyebrows, though.

After re-reading your question, sgarlow, I realize that it IS the scenario you're asking about. Yes, it works.

If I had 2 passports from having dual nationality, could I enter argentina with passport A and leave using passport B?

I smile just thinking about how the immigration officials would feverishly page through my passport looking for the corresponding stamp...

i did that last year. arrived with my EU passport and left with my US one. the guy at migraciones flipped through my passport pages a million times looking for the entry stamp which of course wasn't there. since he didn't find an entry stamp he didn't give me an exit stamp, either. he just handed me my passport back and wished me a good flight.

but i'm sure you're not supposed to do that...

Def not supposed to it. Status quo in every country to enter/exit on same passport.

sgarlow said:
Can anyone else confirm that Canick's scenario is allowed: enter and leave Argentina with passport A, enter and leave another country (in this case, Chile) on passport B, return to Argentina (on either passport?).

as i mentioned I have done that, but be aware in your scenario, since you originally enter Argentina with your passport A, that is the one they have on file and registered to your name and print and photo. as you are legally a citizen of both A and B they can't deny you. you will have however have to explain that you have DUAL citizenships.

Canick said:
as i mentioned I have done that, but be aware in your scenario, since you originally enter Argentina with your passport A, that is the one they have on file and registered to your name and print and photo. as you are legally a citizen of both A and B they can't deny you. you will have however have to explain that you have DUAL citizenships.

So it's coming back into Argentina that I'm likely to have the most trouble? Because they won't see a stamp for any other country from the interim period? Strictly speaking, is there any legal problem with what I'm proposing, or is it simply confusing to the immigration officials?

As long as you leave Argentina and return with the same passport, I'm sure you won't have any problems here. Immigration officials aren't interested in what other country you've been to. Often, the entry stamp of another country is on a different page, and I've never seen them flipping through a passport.

As I mentioned, I did what you're proposing once on a trip to the U.S. from Argentina. U.S. immigration actually insisted I enter with my U.S. passport, even though I'd left Argentina with my Canadian. But I also did it dozens of times when I was living in Canada. I used my Canadian passport to leave and enter Canada, my U.S. passport to go in and out of the U.S.

I'm curious why you want to enter Chile on a different passport. Is there a fee you're trying to avoid by doing this? If so, I'm wondering if you'll get any questions in Chile.

I'm trying to avoid the entry fee on US citizens when entering Chile (well actually it's my bf I'm asking about, I already paid it). He has an Israeli passport, which I think he can enter on without paying any fee.

I know countries where you have a passport often insist you enter with that passport (he needs his Israeli one for example to enter Israel). But I'm wondering if a third-party country (like Chile, where he isn't a citizen) can demand he enter on one vs. the other.

Chile doesn't charge US passport holders entrance visa fees when crossing by land, only by air do you have to pay... not sure about other passports.

Back