Everyone has an iPad

I agree with everybody here, and cannot imagine using a fancy ipad or the like on *the subway* egads, talk about making yourself a target. It's bad enough that sometimes to use a laptop in a café you should stake out a table that can't be seen from the street. I never feel comfortable walking around with a laptop and rarely take mine out unless necessary, the risk is just too great. I've also heard stories aplenty of armed robberies of cafes (and their patrons) that have wifi.

I think my cell phone was made in 1997, and most cartoneros have nicer ones than I do (guess where the majority of them got theirs), so that's something I never worry about getting swiped. I always feel nervous for tourists who I see walking around with visible cameras and their tour books.

It is a different world here and the goal is not to stand out or draw attention to the things that you might have of value. And if you get a seat on tbe bus or subte, you will seriously draw attention to yourself because you will be the only on the train/subte doing this. The fact that you are might make you oblivious to all the people looking at you.

Now, you can get away with using an Iphone as long as you are always aware of where you are and I would not advise walking down the street while talking. I have seen 4 snatch and runs here in 3 years in board daylight with just regular cell phones. An Iphone or Ipad in a months wage here.

This is the life here. There is little police security and the general public will do nothing if they see a crime commited. It is all about self preservation. But honestly the public transportation system is typically very crowded most of the day. The buses are the same, with lots of rough roads and quick stops. If it were a safe environment it would still be about useless getting anything done with it.

As a 6 foot 3 brown man with multiple tattoos I think that I will take all your advice and not draw anymore attention to myself then I will probably already have. I'll leave the tech at the apartment and will probably just use a 3 year old Blackberry I have laying around somewhere. Will the data work if its an unlocked world phone? Who should I connect with in order to get prepaid service?

I know that Personal has a data service called Personal Black, but I'm not sure about the others. Check out the websites:

Movistar
Claro
Personal

I think they sell prepaid data in what they call packs or paquetes which are separate from regular credits for calls and sms. Also, the cell phone credit will expire within a certain amount of time so make sure you dont buy too much at once. Hope that helps!

Agree with everyone here: Having flashy technology (especially something like an ipad, which not very many people have) is going to make you stand out...a lot. I know a few people here with nicer phones (iphone, etc) which they get out to take a photo of something interesting or whatever...but it's not something they're going to be conspicuously using on public transport or browsing in the street. Also, travelling on public transport can be pretty chaotic and cramped sometimes so the last thing you're going to be able to do is whip out electronics and the last thing you're going to want to worry about is someone grabbing the ipad out your backpack.

Here's the best part...........take your ipad, iphone, crack-berry and laptop and put them in your room and go out side and "Get A Life" Connect with the real world and stuff the virtual crap. You'll be amazed at what you do without an electronic leash.

USMCAcosta said:
Well, I live in NYC and got on the subway earlier and I noticed something that I probably noticed until I started reading this forum. Everyone has an iPad and everyone is either reading, watching a movie or playing a game on it. And of course no one was scared about using their device. When I got back above ground everyone was just stamping out text messages on their Blackberries, Droids and iPhones...no problem, no fears.

Consider the fact that iPads and Blackberries cost 3x or more what they do in the USA and that many people riding the heavily subsidised public transportation systems are earning only a few hundred dollars a month and maybe you'll understand why everyone stares at someone when they pull out one of these items here. iPads are definitely luxury items here, Blackberry is actually quite popular but the models that you get here are the cheapest and usually a generation behind.

Laptops also very expensive here so of course most locals think you'd have to be an idiot to pull one out in most places. Most locals don't have the option of buying a new one on discount from Best Buy etc, so if they lose or have their tech items stolen they are out a pretty penny.

Haha whoops, I meant 2004-era cell phones in my original post. You know, the ones with that snake game.

I agree with a few of the people on here. I've learned not to use my cell phone as a crutch. When I'm on the bus, I look out the window. If I'm alone in a little empanada shop waiting for my to-go order, I just sit there, or chat with the guy making them. No texting, no browsing the internet. Crowded subte? Close your eyes and use your imagination. You'll see a lot of people doing just that. Well, or sleeping. That works too.

I look back now and wonder why the hell I got my first Blackberry back in the U.S. Did I need it? Well at 20 I wasn't a high-powered CEO, so I'm gonna say no. Did I use the hell out of it? Oh boy, did I. Facebook app and all. I'm moving back to the U.S. at the end of the year and have no desire to have any sort of smart phone. One that can call and text will do just fine. Do they even sell those anymore?

OP, you might be surprised at how BA will change you when it comes to caring about gadgets. It's a good thing!

I just think its really sad that you cant use your ipad on the subway (which has free wifi) without worrying about it being stolen.

There are places where it's safe and places where it's not. My fiance uses his blackberry in public, but only certain areas. Not on the subway or on a collectivo or around villeros. Knowing how to recognize the faces around you is important.

Back